Water chemistry - lowering ph

fkdag

Feeder Fish
Nov 20, 2008
Canada
I have a little bit of an issue with my water. City water has a Ph of 8.2 to 8.8. Water in the tank will usually be around 7.2 to 7.4.

When I do a water chanter, ph will rise to around 8.2 in the tank. It will slowly drop to 7.2 over the course of a few days and then remain stable.

I have a Pike Cichlid in the tank, and it does not like the high ph.
I want to keep my ph around the 7.2 at all times. How would you recommend this be done?
The tank 220 gal. Filling tank direct from tap, is really only option.
KH is about 30ppm
gH is about 50ppm

Thanks

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Have you tried aging your water to see if there is a fluctuation? Fill a glass or bucket from the tap & test the params, run an airstone in it for 24hours then test again to see if there is any change. If you keep sensitive species, you may need to age your water before you do a WC.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
How large a water change are you doing? I'd suggest either smaller and more frequent changes or ageing the water as suggested to bring it more in line with your tank water.

fkdag

Feeder Fish
Nov 20, 2008
Canada
Thank you for the replies.
I have tested tap water. (without the air stone) Ph remains above 8 over a 3 day period. I will try with the air stone to see if it makes a difference.
I will get back to you.

I change about 40%. So I am guessing around 80 gallons. (Again tank is 220 gal..... minus decorations)
It's a lot of water to try and age. :(

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Are your fish showing any signs of ill health or stress from it? IMO your water isn't all that hard so a bit of fluctuation in the pH isn't a big deal. I certainly wouldn't change more than 40% if you can't pre-condition it, but if your fish are healthy with the current regime don't sweat it.

fkdag

Feeder Fish
Nov 20, 2008
Canada
Hi

I have one fish, which is showing signs of stress. A pike cichlid. His skin gets slimmy white, and he sulks in a corner for a few days. This is why I am asking the question.
Others in the tank (pleco and silver dollars) show no signs of stress.
I have had these fish for years. Only lately (few weeks) has she shown signs of stress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store