Need Help with restoring used aquarium

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I have an opportunity to purchase a 220 gallon at a really good price. The only thing is it has a lot of scratches in the glass and it is pre drilled for a sump. My question to the experts is . Is it possible to use a buffing kit for glass to get the scratches out ? Or should I pass on this deal ? To get a custom tank built around this size will put me under 1400 for the dimensions I want . My fish need more space as they are getting bigger and bigger by the day . I figured I could buy some more time by purchasing this 220 buffing the scratches out and plugging the hole in the bottom with a bulkhead or turning my 55 gallon into a sump. Is this possible ? Thanks

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
you can buff out shallow scratches in glass. Deep scratches will stay. will take some elbow grease and time. but it can be done.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
It's possible, but depending on how deep the scratches are may not be practical. There are some YouTube videos on how to do it. Buffing compound by itself will take forever, you'll need to use sand paper to smooth out the area first starting with something fairly course 220 working up to 400, 600, 1000 or 1200 before using the buffing compound. If the scratch is too deep you're better off leaving it alone because you weaken the glass if you make it too thin sanding and polishing it. The ceridium oxide you need to polish glass is messy if you're using a buffer which you will want to do if buffing a large area.

If the tank is only temporary does it really matter that is scratch free?

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Your right mike. Thank you for your help. It doesn't really matter as long as its not going to explode all over my basement . In the end they will be going into a brand new tank but this is just buying me more time .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store