Best Way to move fish tanks

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Hey all. Please see below for your reference, as this tank is my main concern. I am being transfer 4 hours south(Cleveland OH to Northern KY) for work and will be moving this Saturday. I do not wish to get rid of my fish so that is not an option what soever. Since i have gar the actual transportation of the fish should not be an issue. With the swim bladder they have they can actually gulp air if oxygen levels are low. My main concern is the actual transportation of the tank and setting back up once at my final destination. My plan was to leave a small amount of water and the gravel in the tank. Perhaps only pulling the very tall plants from the tank. I have noticed with transplanting however that i typically lose some of my plants in the process. The move is sudden and i have not had the time to research this as i typically do. So any suggestions or sharing your personal experiences is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Hey guys, this one is a 75G i had actually started setting up a 225g(aprox) when i got the promotion. So i put that off. Ill have to read through that thread Rich thank you. How is your gar doing? I posted some more pics of this tank under the gar forum, you should put on updated pics on your thread you have. I'd love to see how its doing.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Garfield is good moved him to the 160 yesterday he was going nutz in the 55 I'm still setting it up though.
added some wood and rocks today. got heaters, a 72 inch beamworks ,and new 55G sponge filter, coming for it to go on the hurricane cat 5 pump.

I only moved my 160 about 70 feet. I was pleasantly suprised after sitting on the front porch all winter that it held water.
As you can see from the pic I have alot to do yet but like the saying goes. "nothing good happens in a aquarium fast"

Where I'm at as of today.

Rich

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Your plan sounds good: bring water level down so that its just enough to keep the plants mostly submerged. I would keep all the plants in. The 75 shouldn't be a problem to move with assistance from another individual. Once the tank is in the vehicle, I would even throw a garbage bag right on top of the plants just to keep any plant parts above water from drying out. GL

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Rich, the tank loos good, i agree nothing in an aquarium happens fast unless its something bad. Thanks for the advise with the garbage bag. Now heres is the tricky question for my childrens tanks containing goldfish. Since they require high oxygen levels in the water is there anything special i should do to keep the o2 levels raised for the trip?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Now heres is the tricky question for my childrens tanks containing goldfish. Since they require high oxygen levels in the water is there anything special i should do to keep the o2 levels raised for the trip?
I prefer to move fish via thos 5 gallon buckets with lids from Lowes/Home Depot. Shouldn't be an issue with a 4-5hours move this time of year, but if you want to play it safe, pick up one of those battery operated air pump from the fishing section at Walmart or Sports Authority. Drill a hole in the lid and run the air line line hose and air stone through, with the air pump sitting right on top of the lid.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Thanks OhioMFK I'm saving alot of the finish work on it like the doors and such for last.
I was thinking like xraycer a cheap minnow bucket with a bubbler. of a small water change when ya stopped for food or gas.

Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store