will my peacocks ever get along?

sook9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
venezuela
1 week ago i got a huge peacock cichlid from my friend who had to give away all of his fishes,but now the peace in my tank is gone my current peacock won't stop chasing the newcomer who is bigger than him i had to split the tank and left 20% of the thank to the chaser

still to this day he still wants to chase the newcomer,will i have to gave away 1 of the two peacock or someday they will get used to each other?

i only have 2 peacocks the rest are mbunas

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
The acei is not a peacock but a pseudotropheus. Mbuna can be brutal, I've personally never had issues with p. acei but introducing a fish into a well established mbuna tank generally doesn't end well. All you can do is change up the decor, remove the aggressor for a day or two then reintroduce and see if he calms down.

sook9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
venezuela
The acei is not a peacock but a pseudotropheus. Mbuna can be brutal, I've personally never had issues with p. acei but introducing a fish into a well established mbuna tank generally doesn't end well. All you can do is change up the decor, remove the aggressor for a day or two then reintroduce and see if he calms down.
i am pretty sure both of then are not mbunas they were show as acei but i am sure they're not mbunas

fdf.jpg
they just look the same as the one on the pic

fdf.jpg

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
If it looks like the one in the pic you posted than it's definately not an acei. Acei's are a type of mbunas.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Peacocks generally are peaceful to each other in my experience, but every once in awhile, you get one very territorial.
Usually once that happens, you have to seperate them forever. It's not going to get better over time, even if you move decorations around.
I had a Benga Peacock, about 5-6" long in a 300.. was a great citizen for years, even with other yellow peacocks in there.
I added 3 more lemon jakes and then he started getting super territorial, and biting other fish. Gave him away to a breeder that was going to keep him with just females..
I don't know if adding the Lemon Jakes triggered the aggression or the fish was just a timebomb and it was going to happen anyhow.

Note, I said a 300 gallon.. even in a tank that big, the aggressor was not happy to see other male peacocks. He even got aggressive towards some of the haps.
So I think you are going to have to move out one of the male peacocks to keep peace. Sorry, but that's the way it happens sometimes. I don't want to give you false hope.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store