500-700g, pond liner plywood tank

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I am going to be building a 500-700g plywood tank next spring, and I am trying to get a game plan together for how to go about planning it. I guess I don't really know the best way to prep. Any tips?

What I do know:

I will be using Pond Liner over plywood, so that if need be I can take this tank apart, in case of a move (since it won't fit through the door).

It will be shaped like a fat L, one arm approx 78"x36" and the other arm approx 60"x24" - depending on how tall I may it (suggestions?) it will be between 500-750g

I would like to have the glass side be multiple smaller glass panels, to reduce the cost of giant piece of glass. Is this feasible? This is my main area I am unsure about the best way to plan, and what it means for how thick the glass needs to be.

Also, the basement floor it is on slopes to a drain near by, what is the best way to build it levelly?

Thanks

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Also, I was looking on garf.org trying to put in my dimensions, and it aid it didn't recommend a plywood tank more than 48in long be more than 24in tall... is this good advice?

BearFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ohio
Yes, if you build it with 3/4" plywood with Glue and Screwed joints like the Garf build describes. The taller the aquarium the more force on the side joints, and this is considered the unsafe zone.

People use 2x4's to support the structure. Look around and you will find some good examples.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
If I framed it with 2x4s about how often would I have to place along the sides to have decent bracing? Would this make it safe to go more in the 36in-42in range on height?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Or the other option that I'm thinking about involves putting the tank in a different place. If I did that the tank would just be a rectangle, about 90"x42"x36", but two of the three plywood sides would be resting flat against my poured concrete foundation walls. Would the plywood need bracing on those sides in that situation?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store