feeder guppies/non conventional feeders

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'm looking for some good, solid info here guys! I know a ton of people on this site will know.

I know that minnows, and gold fish both contain thiaminase, so those are never an option for feeders for me.

I was wondering, do guppies (fancy tail mainly) contain thiaminase? I am trying to teach my pickerels to take prepped food, but in the meantime I want to continue them on live feeders, and I don't know what fish that I can use as feeders contain that compound. any advice on which fish do NOT contain thiaminase that I can get at a LFS would be appreciated!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I culture red wiggler worms - super easy to do in a rubbermaid.

Matt
That was my other option, worms. They weren't real keen on anything besides guppies when they came, so theyve been fed live pretty obviously. They did chase a cricket around for a little bit, never took it though.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Once they get off live, largemouth bass filets and chopped up sunfish work great and they're free if you put a little time fishing in. I filet the large ones, soak in Salt brine for a half hour, rinse and soak in RO water, then freeze in serving sized portions. Small ones i clean, machete chop, salt soak/rinse and freeze. Between the salt soak and freezing destroys any parasites IME.

Bass and sunfish do not contain thiaminase.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Try tying fishing line to little pieces and bounce it around in the water. When they're hungry, they'll take it.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Try tying fishing line to little pieces and bounce it around in the water. When they're hungry, they'll take it.

thanks! I want to try jigging some prepped food and see if they will take it, its still early from their 2 day hike from florida to PA though haha so a few feeders to get them used to the new tank is still alright

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Yes get them fattened up and acclimated first

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Minnows made up of 90% of pickerels diet in the wild. Thiamainse shouldn't be problem for most cold water fish species, especially esox species. In fact all forage fish that esox species feeding on contains thiamainse. Except perch and sunfish which do not have thiamainse.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Minnows made up of 90% of pickerels diet in the wild. Thiamainse shouldn't be problem for most cold water fish species, especially esox species. In fact all forage fish that esox species feeding on contains thiamainse. Except perch and sunfish which do not have thiamainse.
I've had that debate in my head for the longest time....I mean they live in the wild off the same fish, why do I get crucified for feeding them live feeders haha. Thanks man I'm glad someone else sees it that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store