How long until things get back to normal?

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Hey guys!

So yesterday night i removed the gravel from my tank and finally put in sand. I used a 50lbs bag of black pool filter sand. Now today most of the sediment had settled, but the water is cloudy. How long does this normally last for? Should i do daily water changes to help the process?

Thanks in advance :D
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Did u wash the sand before putting it in the tank? If you did then it should clear after a couple of days, if not it may last a week depends how dirty it was. Water changes off the top will certainly help just try not to disturb the sand to much. Finer polishing pad on the filter can also help clearing it faster.

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Did u wash the sand before putting it in the tank? If you did then it should clear after a couple of days, if not it may last a week depends how dirty it was. Water changes off the top will certainly help just try not to disturb the sand to much. Finer polishing pad on the filter can also help clearing it faster.
No i didn't wash it. A buddy of mine made the suggestion and said it cleared after a day for him.

I have carbon pads, would those help?

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
No i didn't wash it. A buddy of mine made the suggestion and said it cleared after a day for him.

I have carbon pads, would those help?

If I was you I would take that sand back out and clean it good.. I made the same mistake once and fought with it for 3 months before I took it out and cleaned it. Every time I did a W/C or a fish would swim too fast it would kick that dirt back up and make the tank look cloudy again for days!!!

If you don't have fish in the tank yet you can clean it in there, if you have fish take it out to do it then do a big WC..

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
If I was you I would take that sand back out and clean it good.. I made the same mistake once and fought with it for 3 months before I took it out and cleaned it. Every time I did a W/C or a fish would swim too fast it would kick that dirt back up and make the tank look cloudy again for days!!!

If you don't have fish in the tank yet you can clean it in there, if you have fish take it out to do it then do a big WC..
another issue i realized is that some of the dirt is in the filter itself :s

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
You should wash the sand well before you use it.

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
So i realized that if i simply just siphon the sand while i do a wc it'll pick up all the remaining dirt. Needless to say i was right :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store