Best method to heat a 4000 litre pond

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Hey everyone!

So, ordered a 10ft diameter pond with a height of 30". Its an indoor pond so I need the cheapest most efficient way of heating it :) Any ideas?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Do you have a lid and how are you filtering, as this would effect the best heater type?

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Do you have a lid and how are you filtering, as this would effect the best heater type?
Plan is, too make a lid but Im not too sure on how the best method of insulating the lid is.
filters are diy. Several pumps that do about 20,000 litres an hour are being run from different points in the pond. they'll run into a massive box filter (concept based on the Nexus Filtration system) that flows out of several outlets (waterfall style) back into the pond.

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
I used celotex board sandwiched between polycarb sheets for my lid, helped with temp so much well worth doing. I also insulated the sides and base of pond with insulation board. I tried one of the online pond heaters but didn't find them as good as normal tank heaters, I keep my heaters in the filter as the water then passes over them which I find gives better results.

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
I used celotex board sandwiched between polycarb sheets for my lid, helped with temp so much well worth doing. I also insulated the sides and base of pond with insulation board. I tried one of the online pond heaters but didn't find them as good as normal tank heaters, I keep my heaters in the filter as the water then passes over them which I find gives better results.

Ok sounds good. In theory, I need to heat the water in the filter several times over rather than heat the quantity of water in the pond right? Or do I need say 3000w for a 3000 litre pond?

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
Well I'm heating 2000 litres with 30th heaters but I also heat the room

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Well I'm heating 2000 litres with 30th heaters but I also heat the room

Ok, as a different angle of thinking. In theory, how could I heat the room?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Many oppurtunities. Portable heater, normal radiator.. what I think would be practical would be good insulation - thermostat to keep constant temp.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Many oppurtunities. Portable heater, normal radiator.. what I think would be practical would be good insulation - thermostat to keep constant temp.
Sounds like a good idea. So I heat the air inside the shed which also heats the pond. The insulation keeps the shed warm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store