Mosquito fish feeding

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
They're definitely native. The ones at my LFS are fed flake and pretty much any flake crushed up or small floating pellets would be good.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
If you are breeding them in aquariums I would pass on them since the parents are highly cannibalistic and loves to snacking on babies like candy. You will never seen a surviving fry in the tank full of adults.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
Well I'll probably end up saving the clearly pregnant females and some not so obviously pregnant females put them in a smaller tank wait till they pop then remove them. That way the fry have a better chance

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Even in small tanks, the females will eating the fry. Better get a breeding net that is specifically for livebearers.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
If you plant the absolute heck out of the tank and remove the youngins as soon as you see them, you might be able to get most of the babies.

I feed mine TetraMin flakes, crushed up Hikari carnivore pellets, a few crushed up turtle sticks, plus the occasional bit of frozen/live food. The other day I caught a fruit fly and threw it in there and it was gone almost instantly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store