Review of marineland LED (+DIY moon light)

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I wanted a kickass set of LEDS for my 90g african cichlid tank that is a work in progress. They are currently in a 75g with stock fluorescent lamps. They arent bad, but I'm sick of replacing dull bulbs every 6 months.

I was leaning towards beamswork until I found the marineland double brights (48-60") on amazon for $105 w/ free shipping.

uploadfromtaptalk1411233936228.jpg
Heres me and my buddy Oswald looking the package over for damage since the outer box looked like UPS used it for target practice. Lol. All was well.

Decided to test them out on the 75g. Pardon the mess and the taboo use of air driven filters. Lol. Ive stripped all the good equipment off this tank and have many sponge/box filters in here which will help seed the sump in my 90g during the switch. Media bags floating and canister hoses dangling. Not so easy on the eyes i know.

uploadfromtaptalk1411234064142.jpg
Heres the before picture. Not impressive. 6500k GE 17 watts. 2 18" fixtures

uploadfromtaptalk1411234103751.jpg
And after.

The shimmering effect is very pronounced. The light refracts and dances all over the bottom of the tank. Which I love.

Only complaint is that some light escspes and illuminates the walls. This will be a non issue when I build my canopy.

The moon lights arent as good as I had hoped, most reviews on amazon complained of them being too bright. This is not the case.

I elected to have a seperate fixture for moon lights and run the marinelands only a few hours a day for daylight. Im almost never home, and my house has lots of ambient light from the windows. No plants in the tank either. Hopefully the marinelands will last many years with the little use they'll see

uploadfromtaptalk1411234707070.jpg
This is not a picture of deep space from thr hubble telescope. These are thr marineland moon lights.

uploadfromtaptalk1411234751769.jpg
This is my DIY moon light setup made from a 16 foot blue LED exterior rope light string from walmart.

Waiting on the silicone to dry in the sump after my brutally ugly, yet functional reseal job.

Got crackin on the lights. Still waiting on the Marineland doublebright 48-60 fixture to come via ups.

So I decided to construct my diy moonlights. They live up to the down and dirty moniker. For sure

View attachment 1037042
Picked these up at my friendly local bigbox store bent on global conquest. Onsale for the agreeable sum of 12 measly US greenbacks. 16ft long @ 6 watts, with a reasonable amount of LEDS. 1 about every 2 inches. Seem on par with the disappointing ebay strips ive wired up in the past.

View attachment 1037043

Omg NO. you are not ziptying them to a pvc rain gutter are you?!

View attachment 1037044
Yep.

View attachment 1037046
Bought a 10foot run for $5 with 2 snap pn end caps totaling $4.

I cut 2 sections each 4foot. One section I butchered all to hell with zip ties and my drill, it fits snugly and conveniently inside a pristine unmolested section which is not only visually pleasing but also highly functional.

View attachment 1037047
Mind you the tank is dry in this pic. Only time will tell how well this penetrates 2 feet of water. Its easy enough to switch out the rope lights for something more powerful inside the large housing.

Just needs a coat of krylon fusion satin black. Look to krylon for all of your pvc based projects.

Total price is about $21. It will sit behind my marineland fixture.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store