Another Jewel Cichlid thread

douglas ingram

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2006
Lorette, Manitoba
I've been following MFK on and off for quite awhile. Not for lack of interest but more because I can only follow so many interests at one time!

Anyway, it seems that Jewels are appreciated here. I thought that I'd post some of mine. I have been told by the breeder that I bought them from that they were H. Lifalili.

I started with Jewels because I wanted a colorful cichlid that would get along with my planted tanks and thrive in water that is ph 8.5 right out of the tap. And thrive they do! I bough 6 last fall, three survived and two established a breeding pair. The female is a brilliant red, the male a more common pinkish red. They throw a good number of very red fry as well as the pinkish red fry.

They have bred a number of times, and I am raising the second brood of fry. They are most excellent parents! Fending off my hand anytime it comes into the tank, and very tolerant of their offspring even while they eat any newly laid eggs.

The first brood is approaching 3" for the larger ones and I am running out of room for them I have offered them on the local aquarium forum and and broadening my approach to some LFS. The second brood will be outgrowing their maternal tank soon enough.

Anyway, enjoy the photos.

IMG_7143.JPGIMG_7148.JPGIMG_6723.JPGIMG_6726.JPG

IMG_7143.JPG

IMG_7148.JPG

IMG_6723.JPG

IMG_6726.JPG

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Holy crap :thumbup::thumbup::D:thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-R830C

douglas ingram

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2006
Lorette, Manitoba
Because I know that you all love more photos.

When I first got the Jewels my tank looked like this. I had lots of Sag subulata and lots of snails keeping the algae in check. Then the Jewels ate all the snails and I had a bad algae bloom. I follow a NPT approach so it took until now to get it back in balance.

One shot is of my fry in their present home. They've eaten all my snails in that tank, too, so I have crap growing on my plants slowing their growth down big time. Ah, such is the life of a fish keeper!

IMG_7160.JPGIMG_1654.JPGIMG_1627.JPGIMG_7160.JPGIMG_1654.JPGIMG_1627.JPG

IMG_7160.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

douglas ingram

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2006
Lorette, Manitoba
Because I know that you all love more photos.

When I first got the Jewels my tank looked like this. I had lots of Sag subulata and lots of snails keeping the algae in check. Then the Jewels ate all the snails and I had a bad algae bloom. I follow a NPT approach so it took until now to get it back in balance.

One shot is of my fry in their present home. They've eaten all my snails in that tank, too, so I have crap growing on my plants slowing their growth down big time. Ah, such is the life of a fish keeper!

View attachment 1038078View attachment 1038079View attachment 1038080

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Wish you were closer id get some fry off of you.

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
That I have no idea im on mobile lol

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Scorpio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2008
Queens, NY
Very nice, How old are they in the first pictures you posted? Mine are like 4 months but just starting to color up. I just posted pictures (need to get a better camera than my phone camera).

douglas ingram

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2006
Lorette, Manitoba
I'll check the photo data and get back to you. They're old enough to start breeding now, I've already had a few pair off and spawn. I really don't need any more now, and I'm looking to find an outlet for these! Some of them are really, really, red.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store