Are pups born with stingers?

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Just wanted to know if pups were born with stingers and if they're easier to handle than the big guys?
Or, are they super jumpy and ready to sting anything.?

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Yes they have stingers so the last thing you want to do is get a pups stinger caught in a net and stress them out. Use a rubber net or a tupperware container to get them out.

Keep them as stress free as possible after born so they start eating quickly

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Thanks. Tupperware is the way I'm going to go.
I was planning on just leaving it in the main tank til they start to eat.
I just bought a drilled 40 breeder to set up for them, but not sure where to fit it.
I want to use the same water as the main tank.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Hook it to your main sump and use a container as planned to move the pups. It takes awhile for their barb to harden so little worries about getting tagged by a newborn within the first few hours.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
That's pretty much the plan. Problem is I never thought my fish room wasn't big enough, until now.

Stinger question was because I wanted to try feeding by hand right away, and if they didn't have stingers, I'd be more comfortable doing so.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
This is a newborn BD pup i had Monday night showing the stinger. I agree 100% they will get caught in a net like Trevor mentioned.

If you have a tall tank that is hard to reach the bottom do a few dry runs to know what you're up against before its live pup time.

uploadfromtaptalk1411268784247.jpg

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Yes they have stingers so the last thing you want to do is get a pups stinger caught in a net and stress them out. Use a rubber net or a tupperware container to get them out.

Keep them as stress free as possible after born so they start eating quickly

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Question for you. Are the barbs larger on overdue pups? Just curious on your experience if you dont mind sharing.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Definitely don't have to worry about a barb on newborn retic pups. Must be yet another difference in species

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store