Poor fish..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhncf

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Visited my cousins house yesterday and was shocked when I saw his aquarium, he has a huge Iridescent Shark in a 33 gal tank, the fish can't even turn in the tank, it has sores around its mouth, the water level in the tank is about 8" from the top and the filter and heater were both switched off. I spent the rest of the night trying to persuade him to let me take it when my 260 gets here and I would keep it in my tank until I could find a permanent home for it but he was having none of it, told me hes had it for years and it's still alive so it must be ok and he doesn't want to get rid of it and won't upgrade the tank either.. Really annoys me how the fish has to suffer for the rest of its life just because my cousin can't do the right thing and give it to someone who can look after it properly! Tried to get a pic, poor quality but gives you an idea of the size of the fish.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Some people are just set in their ways, nothing you can do. Sucks for the fish but eh it happens more often than not.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
That's so brutal, since those IS are such active swimmers.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Horrible. The girl I work beside has a goldfish in a 2 gallon, I always try and give her advice to help out; tell her about the nitrogen cycle etc, her reply?

"The fish could die tomorrow and I couldn't care less"

Because I like my job I haven't slammed her face off of the desk yet, but watch this space.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
from the picture, looks like a paroon shark that can grow 5 feet so he probably stunted growth
+1 it's a paroon for sure. Would be a shame if he walked into the room and it was gone stashed in a Rubbermaid bin and riding home in the back of your car. Lol just an idea. ;) . No but in all seriousness there are just some people in this world that cannot comprehend fishkeeping responsibly and humanly and they don't see things the same as a responsible fish keeper would and I don't think you'll be able to change his mind. hate to say it but best thing to do is just leave the guy be... you will only piss him off if you bug him. He thinks he's doing it all right just because the thing is breathing, which is the main reason it will be impossible to change his mind. There are just some minds you cannot change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
+1 it's a paroon for sure. Would be a shame if he walked into the room and it was gone stashed in a Rubbermaid bin and riding home in the back of your car. Lol just an idea. ;) . No but in all seriousness there are just some people in this world that cannot comprehend fishkeeping responsibly and humanly and they don't see things the same as a responsible fish keieper would and I don't think you'll be able to change his mind. hate to say it but best thing to do is just leave the guy be... you will only piss him off if you bug him. He thinks he's doing it all right just because the thing is breathing, which is the main reason it will be impossible to change his mind. There are just some minds you cannot change.
That sums it all up nicely.I have been in similar situations myself where I've tried to explain to someone that their fish is in near horrible conditions and the go to argument always seems to be ,"Well...I've had it like this for such a long time with no problems I must be doing something right"...an old family friend has had her poor gar in a twenty nine gallon tank for years and will hear no talk of getting a bigger tank for it yet she claims that she loves it lol.

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
Is that any worse than people that have birds? Was at my LFS and saw a bunch in a small cage. I was thinking at least I can have a current in my tanks for the fish to swim against.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh it's much worse....birds might be kept in small cages but at least they have a constant flow of fresh air to breathe and they don't have to live in their piss and poop due to a lack of water changes.You must either have very small fish or very powerful wave makers in your tank in order for there to be that strong of a current.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Is that any worse than people that have birds? Was at my LFS and saw a bunch in a small cage. I was thinking at least I can have a current in my tanks for the fish to swim against.
No LOL people can actually take their birds out for exercise and even put them on a flight leash so they can fly around. You can't take your fish out of the tank for exercise. Once they are in a tank that is what they are confined too. And you can come back and say well what about the people that just keep their bird in the cage and never take it out. Well that isn't exactly proper practice is it? That isn't exactly how you're supposed to keep a bird is it? Which is the same thing we are discussing about this fish, it isn't exactly in proper housing and it isn't exactly properly kept. It's hardly comparable a bird to a fish because there are so many alternatives with birds like outdoor aviarys, letting them fly around the house, keeping them on flight leashes outside for some exercise etc. Where as a fish is confined to any given tank/pond or whatever you are keeping it in. And a small tank is a small tank where as a bird can have a small cage but only be in there for a few hours a day or sleep in there etc.and a fish if housed in a small tank is confined to that small tank. fish and birds are just not comparable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store