Uncycling

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I setup a Cory fry tank on Thursday and I put in a cycled sponge from my 75 to keep the water clean for the fry and cycle the tank. Well none of the eggs have hatched yet. Mega ing no ammonia source. It's very very odd since the parents laid the eggs last Sunday and no hatches to date, no they don't have fungus and yes they're fertile. I'm worried about loosing to much bacteria before the eggs hatch if they even do! Shod I add fish food to keep it cycled until they hatch or shouldn't I worry?

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
It'll probably be fine but I would add some fish food just to be safe, won't do any harm!

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Get some methyl blue to coat the eggs.
+1 if you suspect fungus.

Do you have decent aeration in the tank? Eggs can be sensitive to low dissolved oxygen. You can feed the tank a bit to keep the BB active, but excess food with eggs will promote fungus. Your BB can lie dormant for a while before dying, so if you plan on putting things in the tank in less than a week I wouldn't worry too much.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Eggs in the process of hatching will give off ammonia. No need to add fish food to the fry tank until the fry are free swimming.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
+1 if you suspect fungus.

Do you have decent aeration in the tank? Eggs can be sensitive to low dissolved oxygen. You can feed the tank a bit to keep the BB active, but excess food with eggs will promote fungus. Your BB can lie dormant for a while before dying, so if you plan on putting things in the tank in less than a week I wouldn't worry too much.
Yeah there's aeration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store