best way to transport rtc and hydrid shovelnose across country?

twistr71

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2011
Missouri
there is a possibilty that we might move from new england to missouri in the future
I have a 180 gal tank w/ sump and canister filters
rtc 14"
hybrid shovelnose 14"
ornate bichir 14"
oscar 7"
jade goby 8"

i was thinking of putting the fish in a couple of food grade 55gal drums and using the canister filter and a heater run from an inverter
and maybe keeping all the tank water in additional drums as well for better acclimation to new water

would probably take 2 days on the road in my old 1ton truck
if done in cold of winter it would be heavily insulated

does this sound like a reasonable way to transports my babies?:help2:

once there will eventually build LARGE tank for them:drool:

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
The rtc and shovelnose hybrid [geussing rtc x tsn] should be fine in a big enough bag. They are a hardy fish and can go through a lot.

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
Or I'd use very large Rubbermaid containers with filters. I'm going to be doing a similar move (south Florida to Kentucky) and I was wondering about that too.

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
the two things you can't skimp on, are aeration and maintaining temp.

If you CAN use 55 gal drums, that's ideal - or other large rubber/plastic containers - If it's a couple of days, then I would not overthink the filtration - just don't feed them for a few days prior to moving them, so that they can clean out their system beforehand.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If you can get one of those really large coolers they often use for salt water fishing, that would be great insulation.

Another idea is fill some 2 liter bottles of soda with fairly warm water and put that in with the fish as well. Just make sure to secure it well so it does get thrown around while you're driving and injure the fish.

Add a bit of Prime to the water every 10hrs or so to help keep ammonia level down.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
If you can get one of those really large coolers they often use for salt water fishing, that would be great insulation.

Another idea is fill some 2 liter bottles of soda with fairly warm water and put that in with the fish as well. Just make sure to secure it well so it does get thrown around while you're driving and injure the fish.

Add a bit of Prime to the water every 10hrs or so to help keep ammonia level down.
Yep big coolers work great. They help keep the temperature stable and are easily moved around on a furniture dolly, even by yourself.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Can always make the emergency heaters King of DIY did with the ice melt in a pinch for heat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store