jewels breeding

the_moori_man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2014
Michigan
I have a pair of jewels in a 450 gallon and they are starting to breed. There are some alounacara, zebra oblikens, syntodontis, plecos, moor, mawali eye biters, and venutus in the tank. Will the jewels protect their young or will they kill all of the other fish?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I would separate them if you want the fry to survive. In the end the other tank mates will eat the fry. From my experience breeding mbuna cichlids, the mother will defend her fry very aggressively. Jewels do have a reputation for being aggressive, albiet somewhat exaggerated. After dealing with lots of violence and injured fish I started quarantining the mothers once they showed signs of holding babies. Breeding fish are always more aggressive.

Jewels arent mouth brooding fish so if you want to successfully breed them I'd put them in a separate tank with sponge filters or HOB filters with sponges on the intakes. The fry are likely to get sucked into the intakes, or overflows once they become free swimming. Ive had success breeding bolivian rams in a 20 tall with just sponge filters. Watch the male, sometimes they try to eat the fry. Normally I pull the dad out after a couple days and let the female fan the eggs. Sometimes you get lucky and the patriarch does his part.

:edit: reread your post and I realized your not looking for advice on how to breed them. ..

But yeah the parents will defend their eggs and fry voraciously. I wouldn't chance it

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store