Cynthotilapia afra

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Are these rare? I saw sone for $2.44 at my lfs they looked drab (juvenile) so no one bought them. There are seven in total and I would like some info on them.

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
*Cynotilapia afra

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Thanks I might pick them up

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I kept cynotilapia afra "cobue" quite a while ago. They are awesome fish! At the price the juvies are at just buy em all up

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
awesome price,, great fish, i have one now. depending on how young they probably dont have color yet so thats whay they look so "drab"
also if they are all females they probably will look bluish grey

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Anymore info for them? I can't really find any online

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Check cichlid-forum.com they have tons of great info on them. I used to frequent that forum quite often.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
They are probably my favorite mbuna.. I have kept just about every color morph of them.

The male adults look fantastic. They are generally good citizens in a Malawi community too. They stay smaller than some mbuna, but aren't very aggressive.
I mean, they are mbuna, some male-male chasing of the same species, but I've never had one become a problem with injuring other fish. Some of the smaller mbuna are extremely aggressive.

I think the pet stores don't sell them very often, because as you noted, they are kind of drab when young. Also, it's hard for me to determine what the color pattern is, as the tank will be just labeled "C afra".. They are all pretty.. Maybe the store manager knows more specifics if he ordered them or maybe not?
In any event, get them, nice fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store