P. Senegalus acting strange and ill

aggressor09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2007
Queens, NY
Hi Folks,

I have had a Senegal Bichir for about a decade. It (calling only because I haven't sexed) maxed out at about 8". S/he grew up in a 55 gallon for about 4 years, was transferred to a 75 gallon for about 6 years, and has recently been relocated to a new city in a 65 gallon (36 x 18 x 24).

My poly was always pretty sedentary, preferring to hang out behind the mopani root I have been using for about 6 years. Feeding has always been easy, and there hasn't been much movement.

Ever since the move (about 4 months ago), my poly has been absolutely crazy. Flailing around the tank, smacking up against the sides, smashing a floating thermometer, and generally acting completely nuts CONSTANTLY. I transferred about 50% of the original water on the move, used the filter media from my old sump in the new canister, used the same mopani root, and made sure the environment was completely cycled and clear for habitation before adding the poly.

I started looking at the little fella long and hard after the crazy behavior, and I recently noticed some sand-looking granules on it's head after a close look. I also noticed that some scales appeared to be scraped (presumably from accidental injury from smashing around).

Could this behavior be explained by some kind of parasite? Some kind of fungus?

Any help is greatly appreciated. He is terrifying himself, me, and every other fish in the tank.

Thanks in advance!

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Could post water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph, hardness and temerature.

aggressor09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2007
Queens, NY
Water parameters are all normal and there haven't been any fluctuations. 0ppms Ammonia and Nitrite, and under 5ppm nitrates. Temperature is a consistent 79 degrees. It's city water, a soft, planted tank with a GH of about 5.0, KH of 3.0 and pH of 6.8.

Thanks for any help.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Try Tetra Parasite Guard for 5 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com