Need Help with Decoration Cleaning

Niks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
India
Hi Guys
i have taken 6 baby GTs and have them housed in a 4X2X2 tank (Sorry i do not know how much gallons it is )and have decided to have a tank setup with decorations(Artificial Plants ) and gravel and some stones as compared my previous bare bottom tanks
my question
  • do i clean the decoration and stones every time i do a WC of the tank ?
if not when do i clean them
Pls help me out
thx

Blazin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Illinois
I never clean my decorations. I suppose you can, but I was told beneficial bacteria grows on your decorations. and you have a 120g

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
The only reasons to clean stuff in your aquarium is, to disenfect due to disease or aesthetics.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
it depends on your decor (most rocks look great shaggy) my white porcelain geisha statue- not so much
ghost/cherry/amano shrimp are great cleaners they eat the unsightly stuff and leave the good stuff it's really too bad they're so tasty if you have enough crevices they can survive long enough to breed... sometimes

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I don't clean mine for the same reason others have mentioned. Only if the algae gets bad, but I am happy because my java moss is taking over the algae :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Niks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
India
hi guys
I wanted to know if I also need to remove the gravel once a month or would it be ok if I don't remove them
I am asking cause I got white stones don't want the stones to look black

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The gravel (and rocks etc) are where much of your beneficial bacteria reside, they are sessile and are not free floating, so it is possible to create a mini cycle "crash" by removing substrate and cleaning it too heavily.
luggy978 is right on the money with the good vacuuming.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store