Shark with no fins caught/released of MD coast

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Cliff Notes:

8' sand tiger female caught hook and line, documented and released alive of off Ocean City, MD.
ALL of her fins had been cut off.

This is a protected species in the US, and as we all know, shark finning in general is illegal here. The anglers who caught the shark have contacted a few shark researchers who are looking into the situation to see what can be done both for observation of the shark (if she can be found again) or protection of her. As a sexually mature female, she is very important to the species. We've had a few lengthy discussions about her since this has happened. My thought (and the general consensus) is that the ability of sand tigers to regulate buoyancy by gulping air has given her the edge she needs.

This animal is a true champion fighter that has healed over the spots where people removed her fins and has adapted to a serpentine pattern to swim by just wiggling her body.

Article written about her:

http://sharkyear.com/2014/finned-sa...ampaign=Feed:+sharkyear+(Shark+Year+Magazine)

VIDEO LINK:
http://sharkyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/finned-shark-2.jpg

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
that is horrible. I would at least stick a knife through it's skull or something, making sure it was dead before dumping it back into the ocean

does it still have it's tail fin? the pics and video didn't show it

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That is so sad, and cruel who ever did that to her:(
Sad indeed and it's bad enough that this practice takes place on a large scale in parts of the world where such status foods are popular now it seems people are doing it here.I hope whoever is doing this gets caught and dealt with...by authorities or others.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Sorry if my post was confusing. This animal was a previous victim of illegal finning (for soup). Yes, he tail was taken as well. It was alive and otherwise healthy when this crew caught her. She was documented and released quickly so she could continue to live out her life. There is other non released video that shows her swimming like a snake with a side to side motion.

The story has sparked a lot of interest in the area, and now several reports are starting to show up of sharkscaught alive and otherwise healthy with dorsals cut off by illegally finning off the upper Eastcoast of the US.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I can see it now...shark fins,coming soon to a buffet near you!

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I can't understand why they would rather cut off their fins and discarded an entire shark. Shark meat which can be delicious and tasty.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store