overhead sump supported on top of tank??

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
Im planning out some filtration ideas for a tank I want to set up. I was thinking of doing an overhead sump for some extra bio media but mainly to plant some pothos or bamboo in to. I was thinking of using a window sill planter like the one in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFcioRUCa6c

My tank is 4ft long and plexiglass. Do you think I can just rest this filter on top with no issues or would the tank not support it? maybe lay a few 2x4's across the tank to distribute the weight a little bit? I'd hate to crack the top of the tank. What are your thoughts?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Saw the video a while back and was contemplating making the sump. But if your tank is acrylic it may bow the top panel I'm not sure about that but seems like it would force the top to bow. And I was going to make one of these but I never got around to it. I'm sure it works well and I'm sure it's a great help with filtration however I'm not sure how something like this would do atop an acrylic tank , I'd imagine it's not a good idea for acrylic tanks but who knows I'm no expert on physics etc .. hopefully someone else can chime in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
yea bowing is a concern. was wodnering if i put a couple of 2x4's under it it would hopefully distribute the weight more to the edges of the tank but am not sure if it woudl even do that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store