Just about had it with datnoids!!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I started with one 7 inch NTT in my 180 gallon now I have 4 of the same size or a little bigger and I got more thinking the group would be more adventurous and more stable but turns out that's the exact opposite.:mad: They swim and explore for about 30 minutes a day then stick themselves in a corner and turn all pale. I hear a lot of cool things about dats and I see from others tanks how epic they are and how cool they can be but I just don't seem to get the same results. I test my water and I have no amonia a no nitrite and anywhere around 20 ppm or less of nitrate my water is around 80 degrees maybe dropping a little lower at eater changes. They just aren't doing it for me. If they don't change soon I don't know what I'm going to do. They might as well have the tank divided off in a tiny space equivalwnt to 5 gallons because they all hide in ine corner bunched together or they all spread all ND each goes to a separate corner. Maybe dats aren't for me but I certainly think they are beasts they are just irritating. They eat well and also bite me well during water changes lol I just am sick and tired of walking in my room and not seeing a single fish in the entire 180 because they are all cramped in a corner. I feel like putting 4 extra circulation pumps pointing down in each corner just to keep them from staying there. My tank is bare bottom with no decor but I've seen others have a bare bottom and their dats swim all around and are always 100% stable. Wth did I get some defective datnoids or what lol?!? :screwy: I'm at the breaking point of just giving up on dats they just are making me mad now. They just don't live up to what I know they can be. I am contemplating selling or trading them if they are going to continue pulling this crap. My small indos I'm my 145 are total opposite. They are beasts and are always active and eating and fully stable 100% of the time so I know I'm doing things right the NTTS are just being difficult!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
Lol. That's how Ntt :). I have 2 ntt too. Always stayed in the back corners of the tank. Not swimming much and always dark, unstable. They're fun to watch when feeding. But other than that, I barely see them. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Do you have other fish swimming around in the tank? My dat was always shy until there was a lot going on around him. Now he follows me around the tank, watching my every move!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I have a pacu growing out with them but I have 4 NTTs so shyness shouldn't be the problem... I'm just fed up with them I'm strongly considering selling them...

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Maybe some large barbs or something might do the trick. Just my guess though. I'm curious to hear what others think.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I don't know... I've had my first one with oscars, blood parrots, and an arowana before and he was still shy. I'm not looking to invest more and more money on the dats, I'm most likely going to try and sell or trade them , I just don't forsee anything changing about them...in my tank at least. But who knows I want to keep them yet I'd rather have a more interactive and active stock.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
What would be the value of a 7 inch NTT that I know can be 100% stable because I'd seem it before in the previous owners tank pics.they are all feeding on shrimp and every once in a while will eat one or two pieces of massivore.

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
What would be the value of a 7 inch NTT that I know can be 100% stable because I'd seem it before in the previous owners tank pics.they are all feeding on shrimp and every once in a while will eat one or two pieces of massivore.

Trade your dats for my geos and cash on top ;). But I suggest keeping 3 of them tho! Cause you will never know what they turn out ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
My dat is similarly behaved, and he's in the closest thing to a community tank that I have (my 120). I've never seen him swim out in the open, but there are nights when he's less skittish during feeding.

Definitely not like those confident monsters I see in the youtube videos though.

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
i felt the same when i first started, they definitley werent as active or as stable as ones i saw in videos. but then again when you think about it most of all these dat videos feature some pretty large sized dats and it takes some time for them to reach that stage. even though they arent as exciting as many other fish straight out the box, i feel its definitely worth it in the end once you grow them out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store