Haitiensis growout

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
My brother has recently grown out some black nasties and this was the most dominant male, so he is the keeper. Current about 4 inch!! uploadfromtaptalk1411329587985.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Beautiful!
I am building a 700g tank for a bunch of cichlids, and I am so tempted to try a Black Nasty or Cuban, because I like them a lot a lot alot... but I know they'd probably kill everyone or die of bloat. I wish they were more compatible with other fish.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
Beautiful!
I am building a 700g tank for a bunch of cichlids, and I am so tempted to try a Black Nasty or Cuban, because I like them a lot a lot alot... but I know they'd probably kill everyone or die of bloat. I wish they were more compatible with other fish.
I've got a large group of haitiensis growing out with Festae and umbees. All about 2-3" so far:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Do you plan to keep them together as they grow? Of course umbees and festae are pretty tough customers themselves...

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
He has had haitienais a couple of times before but have died from stress due to him not devoting a tank to the individual nasty.

This guy is a bit different, certainly less concerned of his current tank mates. He is in with a bigger bass that he has started to hassel a little and some plecs that he leaves alone....for now!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Hmm... I guess I am just curious about whether anyone ever has successful kept them in a (very!) large cichlid community aquarium. It seems like even Umbees, Jags, Red Devils/Midas and such can be kept with other fish in big enough aquariums (500+gallons) but Black Nasties seem to be much more rare and I don't know if I have every heard of anyone trying.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
Hmm... I guess I am just curious about whether anyone ever has successful kept them in a (very!) large cichlid community aquarium. It seems like even Umbees, Jags, Red Devils/Midas and such can be kept with other fish in big enough aquariums (500+gallons) but Black Nasties seem to be much more rare and I don't know if I have every heard of anyone trying.
This is probably because of the maintainence and care it take to successfully grow haitiensis that after all the deaths, once someone grows them out, they tend to be less reluctant to try their luck with any other tankmates. I am just growing my group out together for now and don't plan on keeping any of the fish in that tank as they will all be sold or accidentally bumped off. So far no issues. Everyone is very healthy and doing own thing

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although many South and Central American cichlids live in multiple species communities, haitiensus is the only endemic cichlid to its island. This is a fairly unique situation, and may give an indication why it does not play well with others.
It also tends to prefer a unique temperature requirement.
Its natural waters usually hover in the high 80s to low 90s.
http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=55
This is quite different than the mid to high 70s that most mainland cichlids live in, making haitiensus a bit of a special case.
Through trial and error, many deaths, and research I was able to maintain a healthy group, and breeding pair
When first working with haitiensus, I found if they could not kill tank mates, the stress would lead them to bloat.
And at any temps lower than the low 80s, bloat and ich were also issues.
They may have evolved to digest protein at higher temps than normal, and may be why at lower temps they seem to become lethargic, and whither away.
Of course there may be exceptions, as aquarium strains become more tolerant, but a few generations in an aquarium compared with a million years or evolution in a certain environment, make me believe that research into special needs, leads to a happier aquarium end.
Saving the few individuals of a spawn that survive lower temps, and breeding them together, may at some point select for a lower temp haitiensus strain.
Or selecting only less belligerent individuals, and breeding those together could at some point produce a community type.

I believe xCichlsoma beani is also the only cichlid in its natural waters, and in temperament, very much mirrors the same aggressive quality as haitiensus.
Where it differs however, (being the most northern reaching cichlid on the Mexican Pacific coast) it seems to require lower temps. At high temps, they seem be susceptible to the bacteria Flexibactor columnaris.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
We had a power outage a few years ago that lasted three days. Them temp in my house dropped into the forties, resulting in the lose of all of my festae and several other fish. The only thing that came through unharmed were the beani and dempsies. The high temp requirement of haitiensus is why I have shied away from them. Living in a rural area and having an uncertain power supply means using care in selecting which fish I keep.

As far as aggression goes I found beani to be more so toward their own kind first and everything else after. Do you haitiensus keepers see the same thing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store