Where to buy Satanoperca Mapiritensis?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I've been looking for one for months...but no one is selling them....is there any way to obtain them besides traveling a thousand miles across the country or flying down to South America and catching one?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Jeff Rapps at Tangled Up in Cichlids just had them back at the end of June. You may contact him via email and ask if they will be available again in the near future. Imports are cyclical, some fish are only available at certain times of the year. That's been about three months ago so I don't know if they're going to be around now. Jeff would know.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I swear I saw them on someone's list just a few days ago. I keep a bunch of websites bookmarked and check out their stock just in case they get something rare. Unfortunately I've been through my list and don't see them anywhere. They are quite a rare cichlid to begin with, but Ryan is very correct that many rare cichlids are seasonal. That is mostly due to little to no breeding being done in captivity where breeding can be induced without Mother Nature's help. Anyways, I keep an eye on Jeff (tangledupincichlids.com), John (freshwatertropicalfishonline.com), Anthony (wetspottropicalfosh.com) and Dan (cichlidsoftheamericas.com). Jeff and John bring in new stuff all the time. Jeff does a lot of new world cichlids and is great all around. John brings in only SAs and they are mostly earth eaters and pikes. His prices are a little high and his knowledge is decent. Anthony at Wetspot gets a very wide variety of all fish in stock. Their prices are fair, but knowledge can be hit or miss. Dan has a fairly constant stock and it's almost all CAs with the occasional SA. 1-2 things might change every month, but not much more than that. Great quality fish though and super knowledgeable.

Another guy you might want to check out is Mark from Discus Origins. Getting a stock update from him can be like pulling teeth. It's best to call him since email responses can take a long time. However, he does get some very nice discus and a wide variety of earth eaters in stock (lots of Satanoperca). Prices are fair and his knowledge is pretty good too.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Checked Jeff Rapps a while back, he did have a vieja I was looking for but not a satanoperca mapiritensis.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I saw a guy selling a pair for $50...great deal...but then I found out the guy is selling it via pickup and he lives all the way over in Canada.....*sigh* I'll never get one of these guys :cry:

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Most people I've known that have had them picked up up as contaminants of other Satanoperca.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store