Jag Freaking Out

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
Hoping someone could tell me what's wrong with my jag. I noticed on Saturday that he spent near enough all day hiding in his cave and only came out to eat eventually when he saw the bag of pellets. This got worse yesterday. I got up and he wasn't hiding, just swimming around. He saw me and started begging to be fed, but as soon as I turned on the tank lights and opened the tank, he started freaking out, thrashing around,went back to his cave and completely lost interest in eating. Later in the evening, he eventually came out to eat after I turned the tank lights off. This morning, he wouldn't leave his cave at all so I had to hand feed him. I can't see anything physically wrong with him and he's still eating. Tested the water and didn't find anything unusual either. Any ideas what could have spooked him? Some specifics...

Male jag approx. 7"
4' 90g tank (yes I plan to upgrade)
FX5 for filtration
I feed him various Hikari pellets with the occasional bit of prawn or salmon (no live foods)

Thanks

Steve

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Hmmm may of just reached a size where he feels he can not hide aswell. Maybe add a few small caves with a convict or 2 to see if other tank mates settle him down

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. Just hoping he snaps out of it before it comes to adding tank mates. He hasn't seemed much better today, although he'll leave the cave and swim around the second I switch the lights off

Darth Nandopsis

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2012
Coruscant
How often do you change the water? High nitrates have been linked to skittishness.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I keep my jags in dim lighting or none. Males can get real skittish from time to time. if you have bright lighting in turns the glass into a mirror inside. so he seeing another 7' male.
in the tank. on side note salmon not good for him, cold water fatty fish. tolapi(sp) and jumbo freeze dried krill soaked over night in boyds vita-Chem a better choice.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I have had my male just go balistic, just flying all over the tank, splashing water the works, all i did was take my hat off while looking in the tank.

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
How often do you change the water? High nitrates have been linked to skittishness.
He gets 2 50% changes a week, trying to keep the water crystal to maximise his growth. He seems a little better today. Got home from work and he was swimming the tank with the lights on and begged to be fed. Straight back into the cave once I fed him though :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store