Brook Trout Questions

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
As of now my 75G is in between stocks and houses some giant danios, some juvi cichlids, a striped raphael cat, a gibbiceps pleco, and a yellow bullhead. Pretty soon I'm getting rid of the cichlids and after that the danios and I hope to have the raph and pleco moved to different tanks soon as well. I've gone over many native stock options for this tank once I have it opened up and I considered trout. Brook Trout to be exact since they are the only PA native trout other than lakes which I'd love to have but I don't have room for a 600 gallon. I know brookies could possibly outgrow the tank but honestly I never really catch them much bigger than 12-14" and I think it'd take a while for them to outgrow this tank, when they do hopefully I'll have my 180 gallon native setup in my basement for them. As far as temp concerns, I'm willing to invest in a chiller and I was thinking about making a DIY one I saw UaruJoey make to save money. And for current I'd have a strong powerhead and an airstone. There would be tankmates though since I'm not parting with the yellow bullhead in the tank and I have a 6.5" white sucker in a different tank that I'd grow out in the 75 as well. If there's still room after that I also think it'd be cool to have a Lamprey, they're awesome fish I just worry about my bullhead trying to eat one (however he hasn't touched the cichlid fry in with him months later!). After a yellow bullhead and a white sucker (and possibly a small lamprey but not for sure) how many brooks could a fit in the 75G until they hit 12-14" (then I'd upgrade)?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I would pass on brook trout. Highly territorial, super fussy with cool temperatures than other trout species and running a chiller may increases your electricity bill.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd be willing to do just a couple, they're one of my favorite fish. What about Rainbows?

dotafish

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
fontana, cali
I've seen bass pro shop with huge browns and rainbows in their pond but not sure if I'd do aquarium cuz they are huge at least 20 inches

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Keeping trout in home aquarium is very challenging for even an advanced fish keeper. Rainbows are probably your best bet but they are too big for your 75 and 180gal. You can easily lost your trout if a chiller quits working or having few hottest days that can affect the temperatures inside the house and the aquarium as well.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I might just skip them until I have a 180 then, and then try brooks since they're the smallest species. They're definitely something I want to keep eventually though. So what about brooks is so challenging other than cold water?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Need lots of O2 and current.(strong swimmers) Also, browns and brooks are territorial.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Need lots of O2 and current.(strong swimmers) Also, browns and brooks are territorial.
No problem on the first thing, my friend sells some powerheads at his LFS and I think one is up to 125 gallons so I'd use that in combination with an air stone for surface agitation. As far as aggression I guess that's true, not much space for them to run in a 75. However the ppg aquarium has a large tank full of Brook trout and they have plenty of room to get away from each other yet they're always in a very right school, they're also all 18-26" adults.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
No problem on the first thing, my friend sells some powerheads at his LFS and I think one is up to 125 gallons so I'd use that in combination with an air stone for surface agitation. As far as aggression I guess that's true, not much space for them to run in a 75. However the ppg aquarium has a large tank full of Brook trout and they have plenty of room to get away from each other yet they're always in a very right school, they're also all 18-26" adults.
Overstocking often lessens the aggression between the individuals and the aggression is spreading away. Also there won't be any territories for them to hold on against other trout.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store