Pond Ready for Next Spring

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
It's been a bit of a strange pond year. Although I only had one loss, no breeding that I know of occurred. And about 3 weeks ago, we had a week of frost warnings that prompted me to 'call it a day'. Well, this week, they're calling for temperatures in the mid to high 70's. with lows around 50 to 60. Today was the perfect day (~75F) to get the pond cleaned up and ready for 2015. Then again, it could be snowing next week (did you read about Calgary?? Yikes!). Here's a pic of my pond 'put to bed' for the year.
pond ready for 2015.jpg

pond ready for 2015.jpg

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
I am interested in setting up a pond outside and had a few questions about temp. Do you know the highs, lows, and maybe average, air temp, that you have the pond running in? Also do you know how much the pond temps fluctuate with the highs and lows? I have talked to some people about ponds and they all say that the color on the fish is much more vibrant after a season outside.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
I am interested in setting up a pond outside and had a few questions about temp. Do you know the highs, lows, and maybe average, air temp, that you have the pond running in? Also do you know how much the pond temps fluctuate with the highs and lows? I have talked to some people about ponds and they all say that the color on the fish is much more vibrant after a season outside.
In Canada, the pond season (at least for me) runs from late May to about the middle of September. I've included a graph, showing the highs and lows for each month where I live. Notice the temperatures are pretty much the same when I start and end the pond. Of course, when I close it down depends on the fish that I've put in there. If goldfish / koi, sunfish, and Uruguayan cichlids were out, I would extend the closing date to mid-October or even later. The water temperature changes between day and night are much less than the air temperatures change since water retains heat much better than air. So if the daytime high were say 80 F, and the night time low were 50 F, the temperature of the pond water in my 1200G pond would only change by a couple of degrees over night, say from 75 to 72F. Of course, the larger the volume of water, the smaller the swings in water temperature. My Little Giant 'stock trough' pond (100G) on the other hand would cool down more like 75F to 65F for the same air temperature change. For a small pond, a heater might be advisable once cooler nights occur. Once the water temperature gets to the low 60s, especially for many of the more heat loving cichlids, that's about as low as I would want them to go. Adding a couple of high wattage heaters and covering the pond at night can extend things some. About 5 years ago, I had Longear sunfish, Gymnogeophagus gymnogenys, Australoheros sp. Red Ceibal, goldfish, and a foot long Pleco out until Nov. 2nd. the water temperature was 34F the air temperature 29F. All not only survived but looked magnificently colored when I pulled them out, icicles and all. Here is the temperature vs time graph, followed by a couple of pics of the fish as I was pulling them out in November (I don't wait this long any more ... too miserable shutting the pond down when it's freezing out).
temp.jpg
IMG_2915.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG

temp.jpg

IMG_2915.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
temp.png This is a temp profile of where i live the dark blue line is for this year. With these averages i am wondering if it wold be feasible to do a pond out doors for the entire year. With your experience do you think that heating a pond (1500gal+) in my area could be cost effective? with coverings and insulation? and this would be for tropical fish lows at 75F.

temp.png

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
If you picked your fish carefully (colder water species) and/or made provision for cold snaps (and hot spells ... I only wish), I think an all year pond would be doable or if not that, at least from the beginning of March to the end of October (8 months. Awesome) I know I'd be tempted if I lived where you do. Where is that, by the way?

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
I live in central Texas. Lately i have been toying with the idea to do an above ground pond that butts up against the house. The part that butts up to the house would be glass/acrylic so it would be visible from inside the house. I have tossed a few ideas, like making an enclosed/greenhouse like patio that the pond would be in. But have thought if i don't need to do that i could leave it open and exposed, and during the winter build some sort of cover that would retain the heat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store