Smell coming from tank?`

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
The water in my 90g established tank has over the past week started to smell no matter what I do. I've cleaned and changed the media in my canister, along with the tubes; scrubbed the glass walls with an algae brush; vacuumed the substrate extremely thoroughly; and changed the water every other day during this period. But for some reason this smell returns overnight. I'm positive there are no hidden dead bodies anywhere in the tank.

Could the cause be bacterial, and if so would an antibiotic help?

Thanks

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Any driftwood in the tank? Because I noticed after I put in a new piece my water did that until it got washed and reboiled

Sent from my SCH-R830C

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
If you've changed the media it could be new bacteria or dying bacteria, ammonia build-up...these are stabs in the dark. Also plus one on the driftwood, the one I had stank, I got rid of it pronto

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Carbon should get rid of the smell but what does it smell like? Id be concerned what is causing the smell. You havent used melafix or pimafix lately? When I clean my filters they smell like dirt but my water itsself has never smelled bad which is good since its rimless and about 4' from where I sleep. Last thing is have you changed food lately? Massivore is stinky and ive used other foods with garlic that smelled

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
Carbon should get rid of the smell but what does it smell like? Id be concerned what is causing the smell. You havent used melafix or pimafix lately? When I clean my filters they smell like dirt but my water itsself has never smelled bad which is good since its rimless and about 4' from where I sleep. Last thing is have you changed food lately? Massivore is stinky and ive used other foods with garlic that smelled

No melafix or pimafix. The food is Carnivore sticks - smaller version by the same manufacturer as Massivore. As for the driftwood, I have two large pieces in the tank, but I've had them for well over a year. why would the smell suddenly be in issue now if it was the wood?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
First off, as brich99 inquired, you would need to describe the odor?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store