What's a good catfish for a 200 gallon ??

gwcpanda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2013
Sacramento , Ca
So I'm looking for some ideas for a catfish ...I'm not a big fan of plecos but looking for something that gets to a good size but not HUGE like a redtail catfish or a tiger shovel nose ...it will be in a 200 gallon tank ...any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Tigrinus all day. One of the more spectacular catfish species and dont get huge (many dont live long enough to grow to potential)

What other fish are you planning to keep amd whats the dimensions of your tank?

gwcpanda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2013
Sacramento , Ca
Not really into syno. Cats either and I would love a vulture catfish :) but kinda hard to find over here

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Tigrinus all day. One of the more spectacular catfish species and dont get huge (many dont live long enough to grow to potential)

What other fish are you planning to keep amd whats the dimensions of your tank?
Tigrinus don't get huge??? A good friend of mine has a 30 incher... and mine is over 16 inches in about a year. If they aren't living it is because they aren't kept correctly.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Not really into syno. Cats either and I would love a vulture catfish :) but kinda hard to find over here

With some looking you should be able to find a vulture localish (reach out to Wes from rare fish) if not they pop up from vendors fairly regularly to be shipped.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire

gwcpanda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2013
Sacramento , Ca
I have a male midas about 10 inches , umbee , and a jaguar there both about 6 inches or so but my midas is the dominant one .. I use to have bichirs but put them in my other tank but I want a nice catfish that gets a decent size for this tank

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Huh I must be wrong but ive never seen a tig over 2' but I have read about 10000 threads of them just dieing on people so id assume they arent the most hardy fish.
When they first come in 4 inches and under they can be tough...but there are tricks to get them going.... but i do not want to hijack the thread

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store