Sick barramundi, help!!

svampus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2010
sweden
i've had my barramundi for maybe 2 years now, he has grown from around 40 to 60cm+. Been eating mostly different kind of fish and shrimps, temp always around 25-27C. 100% freshwater. He always comes up to the front glass to beg for food when i get close to the tank, and is always first to eat. But the last couple of days he has been pretty inactive, has not eaten when i feed, and also has his fins along with his body. Not out and "waving" like most times. My RTGG has been a bit aggressive against him some times and he get scratches every now and then, but it has not affected his behavior or eating habits... Right now he has some scratches. All other fish is eating and behaving fine, i really doubt that the water is bad in any way...

But, is it possible that when barramundis grow to a certain size they NEED a bit of salt or maybe even brackish / saltwater to continue living? Please, if someone know or have any ideas / tips of articles or anything write it here! I really don't wanna loose this fish :(:(:(:(

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Not familiar with barramundi but clamped fins are a sure sign of an unhappy (sick) fish and I wish you luck. Again I dont know a lot about them but I dont think they require brackish water as ive seen some pretty large ones with lots of fish I know couldnt tolerate brackish water

svampus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2010
sweden
Not familiar with barramundi but clamped fins are a sure sign of an unhappy (sick) fish and I wish you luck. Again I dont know a lot about them but I dont think they require brackish water as ive seen some pretty large ones with lots of fish I know couldnt tolerate brackish water
Thanks for the answer, what could it depend on other than that he maybe would need salt? I mean, all other fish are doing fine and they doesn't show any signs of being sick, only the barramundi does... And i did a 40-50% water change yesterday, and the water is well oxygenated..

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Any time a fish is being harassed by another, the stress of being harassed lowers the fishes immune system leaving the victim open a host of infectious disease.
Even a few benign appearing scratches can lead to stressed induced disease and death.
I would remove the barramundi to a hospital tank.

brett0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2013
Australia
Barra don't require salt water to survive , only for breeding purposes . They live their entire lives stocked into freshwater impoundments here in Australia. Sounds like yours is stressed and this has led to whatever is going on with him now . Not sure on a treatment but maybe raising the temperature and adding some salt to the water may help.
Some pics may help too.

svampus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2010
sweden
Any time a fish is being harassed by another, the stress of being harassed lowers the fishes immune system leaving the victim open a host of infectious disease.
Even a few benign appearing scratches can lead to stressed induced disease and death.
I would remove the barramundi to a hospital tank.
Aah, okay. Then i would that is what's going on here... Thank you! The problem is that he's around 65cm now, and i do not have any "hospital tank" big enough for him.. But i way have a separation glass that i can use. I will check with some friends also.

Barra don't require salt water to survive , only for breeding purposes . They live their entire lives stocked into freshwater impoundments here in Australia. Sounds like yours is stressed and this has led to whatever is going on with him now . Not sure on a treatment but maybe raising the temperature and adding some salt to the water may help.
Some pics may help too.
Oh, really? I did not know that, thanks! Yes, i've thought of putting some salt in the tank, but if the salt is even going to make a difference i need at least 3kilos. And then another 1.5kilos each time i make a 50% water change. It will be a lot of salt, but we'll see. I'l clean some filters aswell today so that the water is cleaner..

this is how he looked last night.
bild (1).JPG

bild (1).JPG

svampus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2010
sweden
Is that Lates Calcarifer or Lates Japonicus ?
Doesn't look too good.
It was bought and imported as japonicus, but we did some research and we are 99% sure it's calcarifer....

Anyways, it looks like his vision is really bad. He notice when i put my hand over the tank like usual, but he does not strike on the fish/shrimp i feed with. he did strike twice, but both times were at another fish, i think it was because they swam right over his head and they shined a bit so he thought it was food. Both eyes are really cloudy, but other than that he seems almost better. Like how he swims and so, the fins are not as clamped as they were yesterday. I've been changing 50% water everyday for 3 days now, and also i cleaned one of the canister filters. I had a big plastic tank that i could put him in with much oxygen in the water and salt, but a friend is borrowing it currently (suuuuuper bad timing....). I have not seen any aggression against him in the last days, and he has not got any more wounds. But i think i will separate the aggressive ones soon any how...

This is how he looks now.
bild 2 (2).JPGbild 1 (2).JPG

bild 2 (2).JPG

bild 1 (2).JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store