Fish Doctors of MFK

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I just wanted to say that years ago I noticed something Im still noticing.

DO not get this wrong, Ive got a thread in the sick fish forums as well and if nobody gets to it then fine, that is not why Im saying this.

So please, again, my thread is not as important as some others Ive seen in the forums so skip past mine if not interested.

So here is what Im seeing, an awful lot of threads in the freshwater disease and sickness forums going with only 1 or 2 replies,,,,,,,,or,,,,,,,,,not even 1 reply, ever.

Their are great sticky's in the forum thanks to some caring members and mods.

Some things are harder for others to grasp so they post pics, water parameters and stock, set up ect........so they can get direct advice.

All Im doing is making everyone aware that out of the thousands, yes thousands of members here, surely some more people can take a minute, and check through the sick forums if they can offer advice or if anything, just some past experience notes, caring thoughts, whatever it may be.

If your fish ever got sick Im sure you would want the same in return.

Its a tough time when your fish are doing bad because things can change so fast and you want to make the right moves.

So anyways, thank you so very much to those of you who are knowledgeable and help out in the sick forums.

Please, to everyone else,,,,,,I think we can step up and take a minute from our forums we love and try to help others get back on track so this hobby dosnt wreck their spirits, and the animals don't suffer.

Just my thoughts after seeing so many go untouched.

Its one of the least touched forums I think yet its very important learn the good, and the tough side of keeping fish.

This is a big ass family here, lets show it.

I hope to learn more along the way as well.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
while I understand wanting the sick forums here to be more populated. Over the 5 years I have been keeping my tanks I have found that the best place for advice on sick fish is Wet Web Media. They have always responded to me within 24 hours and the crew there is extremely knowledgeable. (especially Neil Monks).

Not saying do not ask on the forms s well but they are a very useful tool to have in your belt.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Things I've found is no one wants to be responsible for another's fish/pet on a forum. The way I treat my animals when sick just might kill yours.

Also I've seen many times someone will ask how to treat this or that and then they never post a follow up even when asked.
Perfect example right here.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?590461-Need-help-with-bumps-on-gar-fin

Also I see a lot of people that are really old skewl here. no meds and say things like "that can't be fixed."
When in fact can.
Example of arowana drop eye fixed. Yes it required invasive surgery, but it worked and the fish had nothing to lose since it was pretty much blind anyways.
example here.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...ilver-aro-looks-like-it-s-been-in-a-car-wreck.

Or a fight breaks out over using table salt to treat a fish. ( OH BOY HERE WE GO)
News flash... You will pickle your fish before it dies of iodine poisoning. But many believe the iodine to be bad.
News flash fish have thyroids that absorb iodine and it does have it's place in a tx.

I'm lucky to work in hemodialysis as a CCHT and I think my pets are lucky too!

My user ID wasn't picked at random, I do a lot of rescue work.

Rich

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
Idk they fight and give advice on tank set ups, tank mates, and everything else. I know what your saying however its no excuse if you ask me, based on the volume of knowledgeable members.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I agree with reptilerescued that nobody wants someone else's fish to dye from a poor treatment. Personally the only treatment I do is salt and raise temps and yes I do use table salt. I do salt baths with salinity way above what would be recommended but the fish always live for me as I know the limits to what they can handle. For a few largemouth bass with ich I did a direct treatment of salt put on the actual fish (which is really dumb and I would not recommend) but all the ich was gone after one treatment. I never lossed a fish by doing this and probably saved 20+. Good water quality, high oxygen and recovery time probably prevented death

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I agree and disagree. Biggest issue I see is bad water quality. Often times from uncycled tanks. And the response is usually "well the lfs guy sold me cycle in a bottle" or "he said all those fish would be fine in there" where the lfs employee who gets paid to know about fish is always right. Im not going to bother being the 3rd person to tell someone to get their water in order and those fins will unclamp when they are embarrassed and arguing already. Ill help those looking for help but I truely believe a lot of people ask for help without considering if they would take help if given

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I find that a LOT of people that are looking for everyone else to help them, could have helped themselves had they simply spent some time using the search function. At this point, damn near every ailment known to the aquatic trade has been dealt with in that section (or other sections on MFK) and the information is often there for anyone that takes the time to look.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I find that a LOT of people that are looking for everyone else to help them, could have helped themselves had they simply spent some time using the search function. At this point, damn near every ailment known to the aquatic trade has been dealt with in that section (or other sections on MFK) and the information is often there for anyone that takes the time to look.
You can search all you want, it will never match being able to post your own photos and water parameters of your own tank. Let alone stock list and set up. No way you can argue that this changes everything. Someone on here can spot a problem that the keeper might not know yet in the hobby. Some people just want a little support, don't put everyone in the same category.

So someone is lacking in husbandry or wants to argue. A damn life of an animal is at stake, who cares about the person at that point, if you can change their minds then great, if not then give it a shot to save the animal.

Jesus if people could get past their bitterness towards other people being idiots and try and be role models instead....

If you don't know anything about their issue, skip it, or wish them we'll.

If you think you do, tell them, ad your own disclaimer if you want, or direct them to a better source, whatever.

All I know is I've seen many threads go completely skipped with a simple picture and someone just asking what it looks like to them.

Just seems we're all family till things get sick then your in the penalty box.

I've been fortunate to have people help in mine so thank you very much to you guys.

I don't take your advice like you were my doctors. I'm not suing anyone if things don't work. I might just mail you a knuckle sandwich.

Anyways.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store