salt sterilizing equipment

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey all,
well...it was bound to happen...one of my tanks has come down with ich...hands down the most annoying thing haha.

Well I took all the neccessary precautions now, but my hospital tank started leaking like niagra falls so I have to treat my pickerels in their main tank, which isnt a big deal.

my question is...I took my equipment that had been used in that tank and dropped it all in a 5 gallon bucket with hot water, and made it into a salt brine using iodized salt (the water isnt being used on fish, no one hang me for using table salt) to purify the equipment, has anyone else ever done this? i know salt kills ich, so I figured this is probably a decent precautionary method. Just curious :)

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Just go the extra mile and use diluted bleach instead.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It is probably a good idea to treat the entire tank, because if one fish had ich, the parasites are already in the tank.
The idea that iodized salt is bad, is a myth.
And anything you can do to kill the parasites on equipment is good.
But bleach is a much more thorough option.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
It is probably a good idea to treat the entire tank, because if one fish had ich, the parasites are already in the tank.
The idea that iodized salt is bad, is a myth.
And anything you can do to kill the parasites on equipment is good.
But bleach is a much more thorough option.
Ya the tank only has two red fin pickerel in it (albeit the occasional feeder who dodges them for 10 or 15 minutes) so aside from my hospital tank leaking, I just thought it better to treat the whole tank. It was crazy, one day they seemed fine, the next one of them had between 8-10 cysts and was acting really strange, and staying in the airstone area so i knew immediately he was having trouble breathing. the other has 2 spots and is acting fine.

I didnt really figure iodine in that small of a dose was going to hurt the fish but you know the internet and its ability to hang you out to dry for myths and overexaggerations haha

I agree bleach is, I was just wondering i this was a viable option for sterilization, partly because I've never seen it done and partly because its what I had to work with haha.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
At certain stages ich is immune to treatments like salt, and even a salinity of under 3ppt will not kill the vulnerable ones.
Research of late has come across certain populations that survive higher salinity, and higher temps, so it may be that the protozoa is evolving more and more resistance.
Bleach is however, an entirely different ballgame.
And just because you don't see cysts on a fish, doesn't mean its gone, many times cysts lodge unseen in the gill membranes.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
ya...was just reading about salinity resistance as your comment came through haha...
bleach it is then

No no I know ich is a sneaky infection for sure. I've just never seen it affect a fish so rapidly as it did this time. I mean it went from eating and hovering in the plants to swimming like crazy, and missing food, and all the normal visible signs overnight. usually I can catch one or two cysts on fins or the body of fish before the dangerous symptoms begin appearing...not this time though.

thanks for the info!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store