Jurapari Trio

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, I'm picking up 3 Geophagus Jurapari from the lfs today. They're around 3"-4" or so. I'm not concerned with breeding them just want them to look good and get along. Can I go with all males or 2 males and 1 female. Can you sex them based on their fin length at this size? Thanks.

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
It's fairly difficult to tell male from female in this species. They are sexually monomorphic. Especially at this size. They do get quite a bit bigger than this and you maybe able to tell at that point but that can take some time. They are slower growing. They will scrap with each other a bit but no serious damage. You may have to worry more about one fish getting overly stressed and not eating so watch for that.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Satanoperca Jurupari is the proper name if it is a true Jurupari. Some of my favorite fish. Have always kept them with very little problems. Keep water clean and feed them well and they'll give your tank color and nice movement. As said earlier, slow growers, but active in the substrate as sand sifters. So, be sure to add some small sinkable pellets that will cover the substrate. They like to forage, so to speak, through the sand for food. Post some pics when you get them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store