para guard effectiveness

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey all,

in conjunction with the other post I have here about salt sterilizing, I was wondering if anyone has had good luck using ParaGuard for ich treatments. I've used quick cure and other malachite green based meds before with success so I was just curious about this one.

Before anyone says it, yes I know meds should be a last resort. Believe me I wanted to go buy a big heater and a pound of salt to cure my problem. This infestation took me by surprise though, as it went from no visible signs to one of my pickerels with 8-10 cysts on it in what seemed overnight. His behavior worried me too (erradic swimming and staying in the airstone and filter currents, which if you guys know pickerel know they prefer non moving water and lurking) so I went out and got meds to nip this now before anything extreme happened.

anyways, ParaGuard, yay or nay? Thanks!!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
anyone? haha or how about recommendations for meds for external parasites if you have had success with one?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
IME a very effective medication for external parasites, especially when used as a bath/dip. Follow instructions closely, too much and you can burn the hide right off of a fish.

At higher pH values I find copper (Coppersafe) to be a very effective & very safe medication for external pathogens.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
IME a very effective medication for external parasites, especially when used as a bath/dip. Follow instructions closely, too much and you can burn the hide right off of a fish.

At higher pH values I find copper (Coppersafe) to be a very effective & very safe medication for external pathogens.
Awesome thank you :) I've had success with Quick Cure in the past so I figured since this was a malachite green med too it would be alright, but it claims safe for bb and all that so I wasn't sure if it was weaker in order to make good on that promise.
I would love to use copper, but my hospital tank blew a corner the other day and I have ghost shrimp in the main tank...I'm still worried the Para Guard is going to harm them but I know copper would surely finish them off lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store