Rare/unique Oscars

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I'd love to see any pictures people have of their rare or unique Oscars. I am newer to Os, but have really have been enjoying mine, I may well be one way to a favorite type of fish. That said, as cute as little Tiger Os are, they often aren't nearly so cute when they grow up... But I have seen pictures recently of some Os that are really unique because they are a rare color morph (lemons, goldens, etc.), because of where they were collected as WC individuals, or because they are actually a different species/subspecies (e.g. Crassipinnis). So if you have any unique colors or species of Oscars or any Wild Caught Oscars, post some pictures. I am especially interested in seeing how wild Oscars vary by location.

I'll come back on post some pics of mine. I have a couple Crassipinnis Os, and a "red" Oscar that is a unique solid Copper-olive color I really enjoy.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I need to update pictures of my Rapp's Bumblebee but this is when I first got him about a month ago.
dsc04218.jpg

dsc04218.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I know this may seem to be a technicality....
but many of the yellow, red, other colors (Tiger for instance) and long fin are man made/selectively bred aquarium strains, produced in the same way Betta splendens or koi/goldfish have over the decades, become so many variations, but these are not true, separate species.
A crassipinnis, and orbicularis are true natural species.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Yeah, I know all the various colors are A. Ocellatus, the only other species of Astronotus is Crassipinnis, and possibly the Orbics. All other are just regional or man made variants. I just meant I'd like pictures of rare Astronotus species, colors, or WC pictures

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I kind of feel like we need to post a bunch of pics off Rapp's website since he seems to sell all the cool WC types.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Haha, looking at his pics online was what inspired me to make this post. There are just so many cool looking Oscars out there, and most people have never seen any but the common LFS tigers and albinos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store