Input needed for first fish tank

scxxx

Feeder Fish
Sep 23, 2014
california
Hi. I am new to the forum and want some input on my first rather large fish tank. I was thinking about purchasing a used 300g tank that includes DIY stand, filter, hood, lights and 10+ mid-large size fish. Considering the 30 minute drive, investment in some equipment and that there may be potential risk factors when buying a used tank, would this be worth the purchase? Listing price was $500, offered $400. Thanks and sorry if I posed in the wrong area.

NOTE: I've seen some pictures and looks like it's in good condition.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Sounds like a good deal to me, especially because of all the stuff included.
The biggest risk I find, (beyond the obvious, dropping it) is, (if it is glass), when moving, even the slightest bit of imbalance can twist the tank, causing stress cracks.
Getting movers with experience can make all the difference.
I have stressed cracked 2 tanks half that size, moving only a short distance.
The time and expense of a repair can far out way, and is better spent on an experienced and insured moving crew.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If you don't already know, a 300gal tank is going to be HEAVY!

Even at $500, that's a good deal for a 300 even in "ok" shape.

If possible, have your spot ready so when you have all this help available you can just set it up where it needs to go from the getgo.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Its a great deal. I would go for it.

Ninjabadger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Henlow, UK
My new tank took 6 of us to move into place, crew of 3 from the shop and 3 of us, dollys and ramps. It's a mission but well worth it. Much safer with a lot of hands. I'd also recommend getting some good grippy gloves as handling something that heavy without gloves is asking for trouble.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
yup Jump.
my tank took 4 to move at just over 400 lbs. it isn't that it's so heavy, it's awkward and big.
Also being made of glass just a touch fragile.

JUMP ON THAT TANK!!
Rich

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Lol me and my brother moved the 220. Luckily we didn't have to go up or down any stairs but I agree its just really awkward getting a good grip on it. That's why some stores sell those suction cup grips

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store