A timer to restart pumps after feeding, does it exist?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
I'm progressively getting more paranoid that I'll forget to turn my pumps back on after feeding. I've a lot of slow eaters, and regularly leave the pumps off for 30 minutes to let everyone have a shot at eating. Is there an adjustable timer on the market? Any recommendations? I think I'll use a light timer with a 30 min off cycle i can trip when i feed, but it would be nice to have something less fiddly.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
They do make controllers, frequently seen on the reef side of things. Most of them have a feed or hold button. You hit it and whatever you have programmed to that button shuts off for a set period of time. I have a reef keeper lite that can do this. I imagine there are cheaper options but I'm not sure what they would be.

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
I'm sure you could accomplish what you are talking about with just a timer and some minor wiring of a button for quite cheap. As fishguy306 said though there are aquarium controllers that can do this (plus a whole lot more) built in. I have a Neptune Apex that has 4 different feed timers that you can customize. I use one of the buttons to turn off my sump return and Eheim canister and it also lowers the flow of my MP40 powerhead for 5 mins. I push it once, feed the tank and walk away. 5 minutes later the pump and canister turn back on and my MP40 ramps back up the random flow.

Feed timers on the Apex are just the tip of the iceberg and there really is no limit to what a controller can do. Obviously though they are not cheap, the package I have was about $500. There are cheaper packages though.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City

zukiGS500

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Mke
I'm not sure I've ever seen a light timer with a 30 minute off cycle. You could use one of those bathroom fan timers hooked up to a relay. Just wire the pump to the normally closed contacts, so the pump is getting power when the timer is not on.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
This may be going overboard, but if the pump you are dealing with is a return pump from a sump there are several manufacturers that make DC power pumps that include a timer. They save you a ton on the electric bill as a bonus. Here is a link to a Jebao pump. http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_dc_water_return_pump_us_delivery_new_jersey
I love mine! have had the dc9000 running a few months now and I have a 12000 waiting to go on a new set up.

Built in feed timer to controller one touch for snack time and everything starts up on its own 10 minutes later.
Same goes for their wave pumps if you have shy eaters and want to shut them down as well.

Imo for the price and electric savings it's worth it if I get a few years on them for being relatively new on the market.

Otherwise if you want to stick with what you have the Apex by neptune is capable of turning the pumps on and off with 2 touches through the menu. or if your really anal you can have auto feeders tied in and the pumps will turn off and on same times everyday when the feeders are programmed.

Apex is nice if you want to spend the money and likewise spend the time programming the thing. I have an older apex Jr on the reef and it's a PITA to setup.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I'm definitely grabbing a Jabao DC pump in the next couple weeks. Rodger and noside said it all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store