366g tank

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
Hello guys.

I'm new to stingrays so bare with me please!

I have a 7x3x2,3 ft tank and I would really like to own my first stingray.

Filtration:

Eheim 2080
( From top to bottom: sponge, filter wool, eheim substrat pro/ceramic rings mix, carbon*)
switching carbon for more substrat pro.

2 300g/hour powerheads with a plastic bottle and some filter wool ( to help with the little particles and to blow the crap to the canister inlets )

Waiting on my Fluval FX6 ( hope it's as good as everyone tells me ) and I'll add another powerhead just to reduce the deadspots in the tank.

Is this a good start? I've been thru a lot of threads and I'm quite scared.. they eat a lot ( no problem with that ) but since what goes in must come out so the more the merrier right??

At first, I was hoping to get an Asian aro but since I have no hope now I started this thread again in the stingray forum.

What ray would be a good fit for me?

I'll be posting some pictures tomorrow and I'll update this as soon as there is any development.

Thanks guys!

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
Hello,

The FX5 will be here Monday.
I'm filling it up with eheim substrat and substrat pro. Same for the eheim 2080 but the first tray is filled with filter wool.

My nitrates are a bit high so I'll be waisting a little bit of time testing, water changing and testing again..

Thank you!

Feel free to comment

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
i would suggest maybe incorporating a wet/dry into that setup, stingrays give off huge amounts of ammonia and will need more bio filtration. i would start off with teacup rays or motoro since they arent as hard to keep as some other types out there.

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
IMO canisters with rays is just too much maintenance but im not here to discourage you, im just giving personal suggestions as you had asked for. I much prefer sump filtration where you can jam as much BIO filtration as possible (K1 is my favorite) and your mechanical you can change out very easily as needed. You can split off your line from your pump and add chemical reactors as well (i run purigen). you can put your heaters in the sump and plumb it for drip water changes. all I've mentioned here are the most important aspects to keeping rays healthy for a long happy life. you want your setup to be easy and fun to use. if you're cleaning it and doing water changes all the time you won't like ray keeping after the first few months. with your tanks footprint id start with a motoro. Dont buy until you're sure your system is suited to its needs and it is eating before you buy it. good luck RAYs are a trip....

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
i would suggest maybe incorporating a wet/dry into that setup, stingrays give off huge amounts of ammonia and will need more bio filtration. i would start off with teacup rays or motoro since they arent as hard to keep as some other types out there.
Thank you for your input! I prefer sumps, for a lot of reasons.. My problem is the tank wasn't drilled. Also the bracing is very large wich makes it a bit of a nightmare for plumbing and such.. I'll take pictures of the setup so I can show you guys!

IMO canisters with rays is just too much maintenance but im not here to discourage you, im just giving personal suggestions as you had asked for. I much prefer sump filtration where you can jam as much BIO filtration as possible (K1 is my favorite) and your mechanical you can change out very easily as needed. You can split off your line from your pump and add chemical reactors as well (i run purigen). you can put your heaters in the sump and plumb it for drip water changes. all I've mentioned here are the most important aspects to keeping rays healthy for a long happy life. you want your setup to be easy and fun to use. if you're cleaning it and doing water changes all the time you won't like ray keeping after the first few months. with your tanks footprint id start with a motoro. Dont buy until you're sure your system is suited to its needs and it is eating before you buy it. good luck RAYs are a trip....
Thank you very much stingray keeper.

As a said earlier, I also prefer sumps. Even my smaller tank had sumps ( above the tank ) just to hide the heating other stuff.. but it's going to be a bit of a nightmare to switch from canister to sump but I really understand what you said. I'll try some kind of overflow if I can think of something but worste case scenario, I'm in for a maintenance nightmare.
Yes yes, no problem, that's number one rule when I buy my fish. I was considering a P. Hystrix because of similar hardiness but the smaller size. Wouldn't a motoro become a bit too large for my system ( tanks are never as large as it should but you get my point )

Thank you for the contribution!

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
Could a large drum full of bio-media do the trick? Plus the 2 canisters. Run by gravity. I'll post pictures of the setup so you guys can judge but it's far less complicated than trying to put a sump under the tank..besides, there is no room for a good size sump.. a large drum on the other hand would fit perfectly as long as I find a power full pump.

What would you think?

dprm

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
Portugal
Since I've a limited footprint for a wet/dry sump under my tank, I'll place a smaller one with 2 or 3 of these, filled with k1 and bioballs or pot scrubbies ( what do you think? )

transferir.jpg
( not my photo )

This way I'll run a wet/dry needed for the k1 media and I compensate for the lack of horizontal space.

transferir.jpg

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
You wont be able to use K1 moving bed in this mate. This will make a decent wet/dry though.

Since I've a limited footprint for a wet/dry sump under my tank, I'll place a smaller one with 2 or 3 of these, filled with k1 and bioballs or pot scrubbies ( what do you think? )

View attachment 1038950
( not my photo )

This way I'll run a wet/dry needed for the k1 media and I compensate for the lack of horizontal space.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
K1 or K3 needs to 'boil' in it's own chamber so would not work in a drawer compartment as it needs to move constantly with the help of water flow and air bubbles.. Take a look on youtube.

k1 works best on fluidized beds?

Thanks jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store