Setup for transporting fish

scxxx

Feeder Fish
Sep 23, 2014
california
Does anyone have experience transporting mid-large size fishes? What kind of setup did you use? I'm thinking of purchasing a tank with fishes that needs to be rehome. It will be 10+ fishes(mid-large), 30+ minute drive, 90+ degrees (most likely in mid-late afternoon). Any suggestions on how to properly approach this?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've moved half a dozen tanks about 2 years ago.

My Oscar and jd's went into large contractor bags inside rubbermaid totes.
It wasnt awefully hot out. Just make sure the A/C is on in the car. It was a 15 min drive so I didnt bother with battery air pumps

My africans I just double bagged in gallon zip locks. 1 fish per bag and filled laundry baskets with them sitting upright. As many as would fit.

Also helps to not feed the fish for a couple days before the move

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Simplest thing would be to get 3-4 5g buckets and lids. Fill 1/3 of the way each with fresh, de-chlorinated tap... and put a couple of fish each per bag. Try to choose fish that won't beat on each other or eat each other. You could add a piece of polyfilter or a batter operated air pump / airstone to each but for 30 mins it should be no problem.

Ask that the fish NOT be fed for 3 days or so prior to the move.

Matt

scxxx

Feeder Fish
Sep 23, 2014
california
Alright. They both sound relatively simple so hopefully things go well. Thank you both very much for the input and suggestions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store