Breeding Bullheads

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Is it possible to breed any species of bullhead in captivity? I have 4 yellow bullheads now (three of them are now 2" and one is 7") and I'll be setting up a large 240+ gallon tank some time next year. Before I make it a display tank if it was possible I think it'd be a cool project to try to breed bullheads (I'd get some crazy BAP points for those who know what I'm talking about :D) but mainly it'd just be cool to observe. I know they need a mud substrate to breed and I'm willing to do that as well as add any other necessary features. So before we get into details I'd just like a yes or no answer whether it's doable or not please.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
AFAIK it's never been reported to happen in an aquarium before. If you're successful, you'd get an award though MFK too lol.

Peep this:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2454646

A great, free piece of literature on the habits of bullheads in breeding. It gives vivid descriptions on the behavior of the fish and their preferred spawning sites.

Reactions: johnnymax

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I've found multiple pairs of breeding yellows in tubes I find in the river. Then later in summer I'll find females in tubes with their fry.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
AFAIK it's never been reported to happen in an aquarium before. If you're successful, you'd get an award though MFK too lol.

Peep this:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2454646

A great, free piece of literature on the habits of bullheads in breeding. It gives vivid descriptions on the behavior of the fish and their preferred spawning sites.
Good read! So it is possible to achieve it with a sand substrate (makes my life easier :)). I think I good setup would be a sand bottom with some old driftwood and maybe a few stones and some plants at the surface like hornwort. I'll look more into this.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I know exactly how they spawn.I even know the ph,temperature, and the substrate they literally fight over when they nest. I have watched them for years in ponds around the house while bass fishing and kept them in my aquariums for the last 30 years. They mouth brood as well, to the point of having ulcerative sores in their mouths when you catch them when the male is done spawning. P.M. me, Dive. I'll give you my phone number and we'll talk instead of typing. Then you can tell everyone how you did it once you've spawned them in a tank.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Excellent read Chix. It coincides directly with my first hand experience in watching them for hours on end as well while they made the nest and spawned. When the naturalist returned the next morning and cannot locate the eggs that are about to hatch,in my opinion some are in the males mouth. This is absolutely true with the yellow Bullhead.I have witnessed it first hand and seen the sores in the fishes mouth afterwards. I cannot remember which species the naturalist was describing though. Very cool little monster fishes.

Rokuzachi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2013
Oregon
Great articles.

Got a good laugh out of rapping the bullhead on the nose vigorously with the foreceps. That good old timey writing :)

I might give breeding a go down the road if I can get my FL browns into a pond at some point.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
You know what? I am going to engage in this little experiment as well. I'm going to start with Ameiurus nebulosus marmoratus and if that's a success, branch out to include A. serracanthus and A. brunneus as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store