Tankless water heater for pond?

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
Anyone ever tried it? I know there is a rule of 5 watts per gallon but is there any suggestions as to flow rate per hour?
My pond is 1200 gallons.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Click on the link and scroll down to the bottom of the page: http://www.apexpondsupply.com/page11.html

You'll need to run a gas line to the unit, which you shouldn't try doing unless you really know what you are doing. The unit will come with details in regards to flow rate requirements. The burners won't come on unless you achieve a certain GPH threshold and each manufacturer is different. My tankless fires up when flow hits .5GPH.

If you are talking about using an electric tankless water heater, you might as well just buy an appropriately sized inline heater. The Thermakoi heater and the Elecro inline pond heaters would be good options.

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
Click on the link and scroll down to the bottom of the page: http://www.apexpondsupply.com/page11.html

You'll need to run a gas line to the unit, which you shouldn't try doing unless you really know what you are doing. The unit will come with details in regards to flow rate requirements. The burners won't come on unless you achieve a certain GPH threshold and each manufacturer is different. My tankless fires up when flow hits .5GPH.

If you are talking about using an electric tankless water heater, you might as well just buy an appropriately sized inline heater. The Thermakoi heater and the Elecro inline pond heaters would be good options.
I'm talking about the electric ones. Do they really hold the temperature though in colder climates? And how bad does it effect your electricity bill? I'd just hate to risk my fish if it doesn't keep warm after that and a cover.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
They will hold the temps just fine as long as you have an appropriately sized unit. Keep in mind that you will need to run dedicated circuits (220V) to power it...you can't just plug these into a standard electrical outlet.

Rough estimate on cost to run:
If you get a 4KW unit, it will likely come on for around 6 hours per day to maintain 78F (depending on how well you insulate- could be more, could be less). I'll use the national average of $0.14/KWHr to determine cost. You can swap out what you pay into the equation below to get a more accurate figure. Again, these are just estimates.

4KW x 6hrs x 30days x 0.14/KWHr = $100/month

My rates always seems to change, but at my highest tier ($0.36/KWHr), that heater would cost me $260/month. But electricity is crazy expensive where I live.

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
They will hold the temps just fine as long as you have an appropriately sized unit. Keep in mind that you will need to run dedicated circuits (220V) to power it...you can't just plug these into a standard electrical outlet.

Rough estimate on cost to run:
If you get a 4KW unit, it will likely come on for around 6 hours per day to maintain 78F (depending on how well you insulate- could be more, could be less). I'll use the national average of $0.14/KWHr to determine cost. You can swap out what you pay into the equation below to get a more accurate figure. Again, these are just estimates.

4KW x 6hrs x 30days x 0.14/KWHr = $100/month

My rates always seems to change, but at my highest tier ($0.36/KWHr), that heater would cost me $260/month. But electricity is crazy expensive where I live.
I think I can get away with the 2kW one. It's only 1200 gallons and it won't freeze over it'll just only get real cold. Fingers crossed but thanks for your help!

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
No worries. Just a head's up that going with 2KW won't save you any money on running costs. The unit will just run twice as long to maintain your desired temperature. But if you go with the 2KW unit, you should be ok plugging it into a standard 20AMP circuit as long as you don't have anything else on that circuit.

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
No worries. Just a head's up that going with 2KW won't save you any money on running costs. The unit will just run twice as long to maintain your desired temperature. But if you go with the 2KW unit, you should be ok plugging it into a standard 20AMP circuit as long as you don't have anything else on that circuit.
Yeah I just wanted to use that one because of the plug lol

lillotus1212

Feeder Fish
Jan 18, 2024
I just did it!! Works great!!! Not sure about the bill yet but it was 28° last night and the pond is at 70° I'm sure it's gonna cost me but the fish are super happy 😊

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store