Feeding green peas to entire tank to treat 1 fish - any nagatives?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I recently moved a delh. bichir into my 120 predator community. Stock includes:
1. 10-12" African Tigerfish
2. 8-10" Scomb payara
3. 12" senegal bichir
4. 6-7" datnoid
5. 12-14" fire eel
6. 6-7" hujeta gar
7. 7-9" sheatfish
8. 7-9" lima shovelnose catfish
9. 4-6" delh. bichir (most recent addition)

The small bichir has developed what I am hoping is a swim bladder disease. I've read that feeding skinned peas can help with this. While I'm not worried about the Tigerfish or the payara greedily wolfing down peas, there is a good chance the catfish will get some, as well as the dat and my healthy sen. bichir.

Would there be any potential negative side effects from feeding the entire tank peas, or should I be ok?

Thanks,
John

** damnit. I just noticed my spelling of the word "negatives" in the title of this thread. That's going to bother me **

Darth Nandopsis

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2012
Coruscant
With that stocking level, I'm not sure I would introduce anything that will act as a laxative & increase dissolved metabolites into the water column.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; i have fed uncooked canned and frozen peas to entire tanks many times over the decades with no problems.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I don't see a single fish on that list that would hammer peas.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Thanks all..... And yeah, no one has chosen to partake of the peas just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If your fish is simply constipated, adding epsom salt to the tank water will act as a purgitive agent, just as shelled peas will - without the issues already noted. If your fish has a serious swim bladder issue, which is more often than not associated with a bacterial infection, neither peas nor epsom salt are going to offer much hope, you'll need to treat the fish with antibiotics.

Blazin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Illinois
i try to give my polys omega one veggie rounds once a week. They are still small 4-6 inches, so i chop up the veggie round and through it in together with their massivore

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store