Canister filters

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Fluval and eheim are the 2 big names. Can't really go wrong with either, both have their pros and cons. I have both. Slightly prefer the eheim but ive got a fluval thats been running in excess of 10 years. Good filters.

There's alot of other players in the game aswell as quite a few "knockoffs" that've come to light recently, many users have ran them with success, but ive never owned one.

What size is your tank?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

shiv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2006
india
Using 2 x eheim 2080 on my 150gal for past 8 years. Only had to stop one filter once to change the ceramic shaft as it was slightly worn out giving some noise. Those filters are fabulous. Initial investment is high but no extra cost later except for the electricity of course.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I went with marineland c-360 as it was a little cheaper so if money is an issue check them out. I am happy with mine.

Darth Nandopsis

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2012
Coruscant
I have an old Rena XP4 (API Filstar now)..................nice price point, very powerful,quiet, versatile (can hold TONS of media)...have 1 one my 125GL & it runs like a champ.

Eheim are VERY expensive, & they are no longer made in Germany....Made In China now, I believe.......not sure how they justify that high price anymore....flow rate not very powerful, makes a good biological filter, not so much for mechanical. IMO, I wouldn't pay a high price for a filter that's Made In China. If I wanted that, I would get a SunSun piece of junk for far less money.

If you have a huge aquarium, 180GL+, get a Fluval FX6. VERY powerful, well worth the money.

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
I went with marineland c-360 as it was a little cheaper so if money is an issue check them out. I am happy with mine.
You'll most likely run into problems with that filter, I got mine when I bought my tank, it ended up leaking within 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AquaticAustin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I had a c360 for a couple years and it was fine. To use your anecdotal evidence to say his will have problems is absurd.

I currently run 2 fluval fx6 and they are really awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
I had a c360 for a couple years and it was fine. To use your anecdotal evidence to say his will have problems is absurd.

I currently run 2 fluval fx6 and they are really awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1 !!!

I use FX6, Aquatop cf500uv (similar to Marineland c530) have no issues outside of operator errors. Aquatop cc500uv has been running for almost 2 years now....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store