Who has the strongest Genes?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
So when mixing different speices of rays who is most likely to pass on the genes/characteristics of the speices? The male or the female?
For example, if you were to breed a female Pearl with a male BD, what proportion of genes would be passed to the pups? Would it be safe to assume the pups would look more BD as the father was a BD or would the pups look more Pearl because the mother was a Pearl? Or does it not matter and it's the luck of the draw?
Just interested to know.
Also, why are females more sought after than males. If you have either a female or male but not the opposite sex then you are going to be looking for the sex you do not have in your tank. On that basis are females more sought after because they carry the stronger genes when producing?
Or am i talking a load of crap?!

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I'll take a stab at your second question. Females are more sought after not for their genes but because the thought is you can have multiple females with one male. Genes are 50/50.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
My 2 cents on this...

We need someone to map out the gene pool of FW rays! I'm sure there has to be more dominate genes/traits that certain rays have but with all the inbreeding going on, it's hard to get an accurate measurement.

Female = pups = $$ you can have a 1:10 ratio of male vs female, so females are worth more(at least to breeders). And I agree with the 50/50 gene getting passed down. You can get completely different looking batches of pups even if the parents are the same. A buddy of mine had 3 completely different looking batches of pups within the same year. P14 father (only male in the tank) and BD mother. I will ask him for permission to share the pics from all three batches before actually posting them.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Would like to see those pics, thanks.
Female = pups = $$ you can have a 1:10 ratio of male vs female, so females are worth more(at least to breeders). And I agree with the 50/50 gene getting passed down. You can get completely different looking batches of pups even if the parents are the same. A buddy of mine had 3 completely different looking batches of pups within the same year. P14 father (only male in the tank) and BD mother. I will ask him for permission to share the pics from all three batches before actually posting them.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Would like to see those pics, thanks.
Actually Jim... his first batch produced 2 pups one of them is in the pic with the BD I posted yesterday(2500)..your quote ' wicked ray!! lovely big white symetrical spots, superb. I would pay good money for that ray (if i had any that is!!)' He is in the background against the back wall of the tank. That pup died on me... [video=youtube;23O1VYz4qWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23O1VYz4qWA&list=UU8rDw4U531z16SdG0PuYfPQ[/video]

I have 2 of the 3 from his 2nd batch of P14 x BD.. I believe it's the two hybrids in the front nearest to the camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5q61YFTiWQ&index=10&list=UU8rDw4U531z16SdG0PuYfPQ

The 3rd batch was born yesterday... Since I don't own any of them.. I would have to ask for permission to post the pics

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
The two pups from the 1st batch had solid white spotting... even at a very young age.
The 3 pups from his 2nd batch had crazy markings with very little white showing (they are 3 months old now)
His recent batch of pups look like royal P14's kinda...

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
If I remember correctly DW stated that there is a 1 in 4 chance of specific genes being passed on. I believe its called Mendels law or Mendelians Law, something like that.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Yes i remember this video, very sad seeing that ray like that.
Actually Jim... his first batch produced 2 pups one of them is in the pic with the BD I posted yesterday(2500)..your quote ' wicked ray!! lovely big white symetrical spots, superb. I would pay good money for that ray (if i had any that is!!)' He is in the background against the back wall of the tank. That pup died on me... [video=youtube;23O1VYz4qWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23O1VYz4qWA&list=UU8rDw4U531z16SdG0PuYfPQ[/video]

I have 2 of the 3 from his 2nd batch of P14 x BD.. I believe it's the two hybrids in the front nearest to the camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5q61YFTiWQ&index=10&list=UU8rDw4U531z16SdG0PuYfPQ

The 3rd batch was born yesterday... Since I don't own any of them.. I would have to ask for permission to post the pics

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
So when mixing different speices of rays who is most likely to pass on the genes/characteristics of the speices? The male or the female?
For example, if you were to breed a female Pearl with a male BD, what proportion of genes would be passed to the pups? Would it be safe to assume the pups would look more BD as the father was a BD or would the pups look more Pearl because the mother was a Pearl? Or does it not matter and it's the luck of the draw?
Just interested to know.
Also, why are females more sought after than males. If you have either a female or male but not the opposite sex then you are going to be looking for the sex you do not have in your tank. On that basis are females more sought after because they carry the stronger genes when producing?
Or am i talking a load of crap?!
No sure thing with mixing blood

If you are just mixing a brown Ray with a black Ray then the black gene will be diluted

It's not until you start crossing back that you get a more stable gene result

What I have found is if you breed a male p14 with a female Leo all of the pups with end up looking like big spot p14
I hope to know what happens if you do the cross the other way round soon
But even then you would have to get lots of people getting the same results to confirm this

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
What do you mean by 'crossing back' T1?
Cheers

No sure thing with mixing blood

If you are just mixing a brown Ray with a black Ray then the black gene will be diluted

It's not until you start crossing back that you get a more stable gene result

What I have found is if you breed a male p14 with a female Leo all of the pups with end up looking like big spot p14
I hope to know what happens if you do the cross the other way round soon
But even then you would have to get lots of people getting the same results to confirm this

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store