Learning how to Cycle an aquarium the natural way and to just have patience!!!

Quason778

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2014
Washington, DC
About 10 years I purchased a 55gal aquarium from a pet store. I had no clue about cycling my tank and went out the next day and bought 3 Oscars and 2 Red Devil Cichlids. Within a week I lost 3 out of the 5 fish. I was devastated and thought I was doing everything right when I was doing everything wrong. I ended up giving up and giving the tank away a couple of months later after killing all of the fish. I recently bought a 120gal tank and this time, I did alot more research and found out about the nitrogen cycle. I cycled my tank for about a month and finally added my fish about 3 weeks ago. I have (2) 4" ATF and they are doing great so far. Wish me luck!!!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What method did you end up using to cycle the 120?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
This is going to catch me some hell but look into using SafeStart or Stability as a decent insurance policy.
A month isn't quite long enough to fully cycle a tank IME, Unless you were dosing with ammonia or had seeded pieces from a cycled tank.

I made the same mistake with my first tank too. it is a 55L and I let it do its thing for...about a month or so with only 4 little crayfish in there. I started registering small amounts of nitrite/nitrates and thought it was ready so I dropped a 3" bullhead in there...bad move. The ammonia levels shot to well over 4.0 ppm for about a week...nitrites never moved really.

I dosed with Stability and SafeStart, the tanks now stable thankfully...

I put a lot of confidence in those products...a lot of people will tell you they never work...trust me they can save a tank. Just my experiences haha

Good luck! sounds like you did your homework on this one ;)

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I with the first thing that people would do when they purchase their first fish tank is to Google "Aquarium Club <their town>". There are several great fish clubs in the DC area (CCA, PVAS, GWAPA) with forums... and members who could have provided solid advice...maybe even some mature filter media.

Quason - seems like you're into cichlids, so check out the Capital Cichlid Association (www.capitalcichlids.org) - monthly meetings in Silver Spring, MD (2nd Saturday of the month) - guests welcome.

Matt

About 10 years I purchased a 55gal aquarium from a pet store. I had no clue about cycling my tank and went out the next day and bought 3 Oscars and 2 Red Devil Cichlids. Within a week I lost 3 out of the 5 fish. I was devastated and thought I was doing everything right when I was doing everything wrong. I ended up giving up and giving the tank away a couple of months later after killing all of the fish. I recently bought a 120gal tank and this time, I did alot more research and found out about the nitrogen cycle. I cycled my tank for about a month and finally added my fish about 3 weeks ago. I have (2) 4" ATF and they are doing great so far. Wish me luck!!!

Natimus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2013
Montana
This is going to catch me some hell but look into using SafeStart or Stability as a decent insurance policy.
A month isn't quite long enough to fully cycle a tank IME, Unless you were dosing with ammonia or had seeded pieces from a cycled tank.

I made the same mistake with my first tank too. it is a 55L and I let it do its thing for...about a month or so with only 4 little crayfish in there. I started registering small amounts of nitrite/nitrates and thought it was ready so I dropped a 3" bullhead in there...bad move. The ammonia levels shot to well over 4.0 ppm for about a week...nitrites never moved really.

I dosed with Stability and SafeStart, the tanks now stable thankfully...

I put a lot of confidence in those products...a lot of people will tell you they never work...trust me they can save a tank. Just my experiences haha

Good luck! sounds like you did your homework on this one ;)
You're not the only one. I've had good results with SafeStart in the past.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Yup when in doubt don't be afraid to go chemical war fair.
(with meds or safe start/stability)

look at it this way.
your fish MIGHT die if you do something. your fish ARE going to die if you do nothing!

I was pushed into a corner with my gar and after 3 weeks of a fish cycle on my 160 I had to move him. I used stability to get him in there.
It worked so good I'm using it for a "fast cycle " so I can bring home my 3 female and 1 male congo tetras either today of this weekend.

Nothing is better then a natural cycle, Sometimes you just have no choice like moving or a fish growing alot faster then you want it to.
Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store