Seeding new tank with old media question

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Alright so for the past year I have kept 3 sliders for my little brother in a 55g. Finally he is letting me get rid of them. So i picked up a 75g to replace the 55 they are currently in. My question is. My 75g is going to house my group of 6 clown loaches and is going to be a grow out for 2 azuls and 2 farmies. Would it be a bad idea to seed the 75 with the filter from the turtle tank? The 55 currently has a HOB running on it. Would the bio media from the turtles carry bad parasites or anything that may hurt the clowns and bass? I would like to set up the 75 this weekend with the filter from the turtles and the fx5 that will eventually be running the tank by itself and then next weekend go home from school again and swap over all the fish that are currently in my 40b.

Thank you
George

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
The filter would contain any parasites or pathogens that the turtles carry. Not a turtle guy but I know it isn't unusual for them to carry salmonella. I wouldn't risk it myself.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

NatureMostWanted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2014
Under The Sea
i would not recommend it that you use the old media because aquatic turtle are filthy animal plus your clown loaches are scaleless fish and are more prom to sickness it would only take a few day to build up new biological filter again. i wouldnt risk it plus the fishes you name are awesome uncommon fish not worth it.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I would move all the media from the tank that is housing the clown loaches over to the 75. I wouldn't chance a possible introduction of diseases/parasites to your CL.

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
The thing is the 40b has other fish that will be staying in it. I have 2 sponge filters and a crappy internal filter i found in my basement running on it right now. My end plan is to run the hob from the turtle tank on the 40b along with the 2 sponges. (Will clean and disinfect filter first) Was just hopping i could somehow seed the 75 and move some fish over next weekend because the 40 is somewhat packed atm.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Just move everything over to the 75, fish and all. In about a month from now, the new filters will be matured and then the 2 sponge and internal filters can be moved back to the 40 along with the fish that will be housed in the 40.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
Definitely not worth the risk! Set up the 75g with cleansed filters and buy a bottle of API Quickstart or Seachem Stability, both are beneficial bacteria in a bottle that will jumpstart your cycle. Follow the instructions well and you shouldn't have any problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Just move everything over to the 75, fish and all. In about a month from now, the new filters will be matured and then the 2 sponge and internal filters can be moved back to the 40 along with the fish that will be housed in the 40.
+2. This is what i would do, simple and efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store