Spray bar position

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So after my setup ran for a while with my under substrate jets I don't like it, my sand is blown around too much if I had gravel it would work perfect but it's just not to my liking so in going back to a spray bar setup as that's what I've ran with for a while before my setup now with no problems I'm just wondering best position or the bar, it's a 6ft 220 gallon tank with an overflow box in the back right corner my hopes are to get the most circulation of dirty water to the box my old setup with the spray bar was just at the surface along the left side of the tank, is this the best still? I was thinking along the back of the tank on the bottom pointing up maybe to help push the colder dirty water from the bottom up towards the overflow

Thank you all

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

freelanderuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2012
UK
on my 5' i have my spray bar on the back wall about 1.5" under the surface angled slightly up pointing to the front glass to give a circular water movement , i then have on my second filter output with a wide angle nozzle pointing diagonally along the back wall to the filter intake ,this moves fish waste to the intake of my first filter

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
From personal experience: if you place spray bar near the water surface and point slightly up, if you allow water level to drop below the blow hole, the water is going to spray up; pending your tank top opening, potentially dumping fair amount of water on your floor...

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Yup Eco I've done that lol had the spray bar just below the surface pointed slightly up few days later go check out the tank and have a fountain of water going out the top my lid was on but it was still pushing just under it to get out of the tank

freelanderuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2012
UK
No overflow , I use a eheim 2080 on one end and a eheim 2262 on the other corner , my spray bar is only angled very slightly to the surface of the water just enough to give a ripple

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
I was thinking along the back of the tank on the bottom pointing up maybe to help push the colder dirty water from the bottom up towards the overflow

Thank you all

IIRC if you put a spray bar on the bottom of the tank then you have all that extra positive pressure that your pump is going to have to work against. So if you're using a pump that you are already running wide open chances are that it is going to decrease its flow rate. If you have something that is already dialed back then you can open it up to create the same conditions.

Personally I've tried creating a linear current in my tanks with spray bars on one end and returns on the other and IMHO the best conditions for keeping sandy substrate clean is turbulent random flow created by wave pumps. This gives you random vortexes where detritus usually would be collected you'll see it spinning in a tornado fashion that either breaks it down faster or whisps it into the water column and then trapped by the filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store