Should I be worried?

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
Long story short, I bought some rosy reds to feed my barracuda (payara) and it ate one with fungus on the whole back body. Should I be worried? It's been 1 week now. Haven't noticed anything.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Only thing you can do is monitor, If its been a week your probably okay. However, If you feed any fish store bought feeder fish without quarantining them first its a matter of time until your fish gets sick.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
If your water quality/stress levels are good there's absolutely nothing to be worried about. Fish have immune systems just like us and will fight off disease rather easily, once water quality is sub par stress weakens the immune system therefore leading to illness.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
You should always quarantine your bought feeders.

By that I mean in a tank with 84 to 86 F temp and enough salt for that volume tank to kill ick.
And do so for 1 week 2 weeks is better.
as you do this cull out the sick and dead. you will lose some/a lot.

NEVER buy from a place that the tank is dirty, cloudy, or has more then 2 dead feeders.
Stores cull the dead out as they find them so try to hit them at different times to see just how much dead they have.

BUY minnows from a bait store that's been open for years. chances are they are buying form a place like Andrews that sell 100% disease free.

breed your own guppies/mollies.

WC with a minnow trap.

I do them all accept buy any feeders that are orange. READ the guy that posted about his Dats and the sticky on live feeders ( gold fish)
those two posts should steer you clear.

What were/are you feeding ?

Rich

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
There is only one fool proof safe manner to feed your fish feeders, and that is by raising your own feeders under controlled conditions.

There's no option B, everything else involves risks.

FYI - while salt and high temps can help control ich (sometimes) it does not make a feeder fish pathogen/bacteria free. Not even close.

And Daniel was correct in stating that it takes stress to trigger a health issue, but unfortunately you have now introduced possibly 1 or more pathogens into your system that may live there until one of your fish does come under some form of stress, and then guess what happens next. 1 week with no issues doesn't mean that you dodged a bullet, it could mean that you simply dodged a bullet for now.

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
You should always quarantine your bought feeders.

By that I mean in a tank with 84 to 86 F temp and enough salt for that volume tank to kill ick.
And do so for 1 week 2 weeks is better.
as you do this cull out the sick and dead. you will lose some/a lot.

NEVER buy from a place that the tank is dirty, cloudy, or has more then 2 dead feeders.
Stores cull the dead out as they find them so try to hit them at different times to see just how much dead they have.

BUY minnows from a bait store that's been open for years. chances are they are buying form a place like Andrews that sell 100% disease free.

breed your own guppies/mollies.

WC with a minnow trap.

I do them all accept buy any feeders that are orange. READ the guy that posted about his Dats and the sticky on live feeders ( gold fish)
those two posts should steer you clear.

What were/are you feeding ?

Rich
My sabre tusk barracudas payara

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
There is only one fool proof safe manner to feed your fish feeders, and that is by raising your own feeders under controlled conditions.

There's no option B, everything else involves risks.

FYI - while salt and high temps can help control ich (sometimes) it does not make a feeder fish pathogen/bacteria free. Not even close.

And Daniel was correct in stating that it takes stress to trigger a health issue, but unfortunately you have now introduced possibly 1 or more pathogens into your system that may live there until one of your fish does come under some form of stress, and then guess what happens next. 1 week with no issues doesn't mean that you dodged a bullet, it could mean that you simply dodged a bullet for now.
I got a uv filter running 8hrs aday 4 times a week. And bought salt and fungus cure to dose the feeders with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store