Most sought after Hoplias aimara?

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Ok, so I've decided I want to invest in another Wolffish(Hoplias sp.)for a large single species display tank. I have decided on Aimara over Curupira and the other species for now. I would like to have everyone's opinion on the best locale(country, I suppose) to try and obtain one from if you had your choice and why. I am thinking I need to get a small specimen (6-8" or so)for shipping ease and overall availability. If money and tank size wasn't in the equation, and you could get your "bucket list" Hoplias aimara, which country or local population would it be from, and why? I am guessing color would be the largest factor,so if you have a picture to show why you prefer one over the other, please share it in your post. I have been researching this for a while now and your opinions are very valuable to me and my ultimate decision on which fish variety to seek. Thanks for all your input. I am looking forward to your responses. Thank you.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Best locale... Not much option... Get whatever available...

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Never seen anything but Amapa and Venezuala offered here in the states.

Most people have a problem with the price of these common variants. I'd hate to see the tag on something exotic. Pretty sure there's 5 digit variants out there- thought I remember Seichii having a green one that was rumored to be 1 of 3 known in existence, and well into 5 digits for a price tag. But they're never offered to us cheap skates here in America. Pretty sure the only way we ever even got offered these things in the first place was to import from across seas, NOT south America, cause all that were caught were sent over there where people actually pay good money for fish. IF this is what you're after I'd be looking for some China/Malaysia/Japan/Taiwan connections, cause it happening in the states is doubtful.

I'm not even sure the differences between Amapa and VZ, I've just heard VZ are the most aggressive, but I think JL is the only one that has both confirmed species, and I think he said aggression depends on the individual fish more then what variant it is.

I'd consult Wes (Rare Fish) and see what he can get you. IF anyone would be able to come up with a different variant it would be him, BUT I also think IF he was able to get his hand on a 3rd variant one would probably already be swimming in a tank at JLs...... lol

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Never seen anything but Amapa and Venezuala offered here in the states.

Most people have a problem with the price of these common variants. I'd hate to see the tag on something exotic. Pretty sure there's 5 digit variants out there- thought I remember Seichii having a green one that was rumored to be 1 of 3 known in existence, and well into 5 digits for a price tag. But they're never offered to us cheap skates here in America. Pretty sure the only way we ever even got offered these things in the first place was to import from across seas, NOT south America, cause all that were caught were sent over there where people actually pay good money for fish. IF this is what you're after I'd be looking for some China/Malaysia/Japan/Taiwan connections, cause it happening in the states is doubtful.

I'm not even sure the differences between Amapa and VZ, I've just heard VZ are the most aggressive, but I think JL is the only one that has both confirmed species, and I think he said aggression depends on the individual fish more then what variant it is.

I'd consult Wes (Rare Fish) and see what he can get you. IF anyone would be able to come up with a different variant it would be him, BUT I also think IF he was able to get his hand on a 3rd variant one would probably already be swimming in a tank at JLs...... lol
Good points DB.. Wes is a great Idea for getting the rarest of the rare. But I do know for a a fact Aquascape gets his Aimara direct from SA and reaching out to Pedro would be my second move after Wes.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What about Sharkaquarium?....They always seem to have aimara when I visit there.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Good points DB.. Wes is a great Idea for getting the rarest of the rare. But I do know for a a fact Aquascape gets his Aimara direct from SA and reaching out to Pedro would be my second move after Wes.
To each their own. I'd wait for Wes. I got my second Aimara from Wes and he got me the exact size I wanted, was cheaper then anyone else, and the fish arrived AND stayed in flawless condition the entire time adjusting to my tank.

If Wes blacklisted me I'd go to G at Shark Aquarium. He's considered the expert when it comes to wolves, he brought in some of the first Aimara, and he went out of his way to help me and another hobbyist land an Amapa Aimara in my tank. His shipping was also flawless, as well as the fish. No issues during acclimation AND no communication issues.

The thread here about the crazy face smashing Aimara would cause me to raise an eyebrow IF I was in the market.......

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
To each their own. I'd wait for Wes. I got my second Aimara from Wes and he got me the exact size I wanted, was cheaper then anyone else, and the fish arrived AND stayed in flawless condition the entire time adjusting to my tank.

If Wes blacklisted me I'd go to G at Shark Aquarium. He's considered the expert when it comes to wolves, he brought in some of the first Aimara, and he went out of his way to help me and another hobbyist land an Amapa Aimara in my tank. His shipping was also flawless, as well as the fish. No issues during acclimation AND no communication issues.

The thread here about the crazy face smashing Aimara would cause me to raise an eyebrow IF I was in the market.......

HAHA, Wes is always my first move (other then the fact I do not have to have anything shipped from Aquascape or Shark Aquarium because they are both 20 minutes from my houe) George is a good idea too... I just find him horrendous to deal with.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I just find him horrendous to deal with.
Ironic. I'd love to know your opinion IF you lived out in the sticks like I do and had no choice but to deal long distance...... ;) I imagine you already know since I've never had to contact a hobbyist to try to deal with George, yet had to call on you when I was trying to get a P14 from Aquascape.

Like I said, George was kind enough to take a fish a hobbyist had and ship it to another hobbyist (me) without charging anything. To me that means a lot.

You can about imagine how puzzling it is to open a box and see a milk jug sitting there in the bag. NO way was that wolf going to bite through the bag. To me that screams experience.

Regardless, this thread wasn't about WHO to get from, although given the price of the subject fish I'm sure the info is appreciated, but don't want to get this closed cause my experiences could be considered "biased" (which there's plenty of good reason for it to be) I will try to remain neutral.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store