Black or Silver?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, I'm in the market for my first juvenile arowana. I originally wanted a jardini but after some research decided their temperment may not be right for my long term plans. That said I like the look of black arowanas when they're small but the price difference between them and silvers are a lot. I'd also have to order a black versus just buying a silver at my lfs. Can anyone give me any thoughts on this one? Thanks.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
If you look around this sub forum you will notice quite a bit of discussion of silver Arowanas coming down with drop eye.It seems to be a matter of time that nearly all captive silvers will get drop eye and nont so with black arowanas.Its something to consider when choosing one over the other.

Fatlungy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
My silver was great looking but would just go nuts sometimes. It would always be mashing its head or missing scales. I have yet to see my black act like this and I've had him a year and a half.

Sent from my MB886 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RSLTID

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2014
Utah
I have never kept a Silver, but I have kept a Black. I would pay the difference again in a heartbeat. My Black kept its beautiful coloring as long as I had it (it out grew the tank and had to be rehomed). I am really considering getting another, even though I can not house them too long in my 150 gal. Good luck with your decision.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Just get a black aro

Drop eye is dam ugly and enough to put anyone off anyone who says it doesn't bother them is not being truthful

Aro live a very long life and $200 isn't much for a centre of your tank
And $200 is cheap if you take into account the amount of US aro keepers who wish they could spend $1000+ on a Asian aro if they could

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I'd go black. I've never seen a 30"+ silver without drop eye that wasn't in a pond or gigantic commercial aquarium. Most have protruding lower jaw also. Blacks rarely get drop eye and stay a little smaller.

That being said my African arowana is one of my favorite fish. They don't have the sensitive lip barbells and are more closely related to the arapaima. very sensitive when small but are some of the toughest fish when large. Air breathers and great at cleaning the substrate.

Just making your decision a little harder ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Black arowana also develop drop eye, so just get whatever you like and comfortable with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store